Urch Forums

MY GPA -> HOW GOOD IT IS?

nedian

HELLO TO ALL,

I HAVE A BACHELORS DEGREE FROM PAKISTAN IN COMPUTER SYSTEMS ENGINEERING AND RECENTLY I HAVE EVALUATED MY FOREIGN CREDENTIALS FROM A COMPANY FCSA(FOREIGN CREDENTIAL SERVICES OF AMERICA)http://www.fcsa.biz SITUATED IN AUSTIN-TX, ACCORDING TO THEIR CONVERSION MY US GPA FOR THE FOUR YEARS BACHELORS DEGREE CAME OUT TO BE 3.68(0N 4.0 SCALE), I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE GPA SO I WANT TO ASK THAT HOW GOOD IT IS? THANK YOU.

Hi Nedian,

This is good GPA. Usually u can say that person scoring 90%+ will have

GPA around 3.8+.

Most good university has cutoff of 3.5 so you can apply to most and have good chance.

Else I can't comment about 'how good' .. it is very good to cover most of universities and have good chance.

Mine was 3.66 and got admit from Mississippi and UC Irvine (without aids). - Might tell u if there is any relation :)

Bye

Ketan

Nedian - There has been a lot of debate on the usefulness of converting the marks you secure in countries such as India and Pakistan to a GPA on a scale of 4. Since a GPA is relative to the performance of the rest of the students in your class, the absolute marks doled out in a number of universities in some countries including India and Pakistan really cannot be converted into a relative GPA without more information than what is available on your transcripts. So, don't worry about your "GPA". You should mention your class rank and get some Prof to highlight that in his or her recommendation. Universities in the US are aware of the fact that a 3.5 GPA from a fourth tier university counts for much less than a 3.5 from a top school. If your university is known here then nothing like it, if not you could write the GRE subject test to prove you are good in your subject, in case you are applying to any of the top schools. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

I think that GPA conversion is a little crap. Even among depts of the same institution. I come from Dept of Maritime Studies, U Piraeus. My Score was 7,4 out of 10. This means that I have GPA of 2.96 (I think:hmm: ) But you, I was Num. 3 for that year? In the previous graduation, Num. 1 had a gpa of 3. In other depts of the University the situation is even worse, but there are depts that a straight 10/10 (GPA = 4/4:eek: ) is quite possible. so what is the TRUE connection of each university's GPA with others?:hmm: :hmm:

I hope that the admissions officer will in the future get out of such disraptive norms and check true potential!!!!!!:mad:

hi guys...

i was also eager to convert my %age marks into gpa......

i know one of at sacramento state univ.. but they generally give less credit to ur marks.. i mean tehy degrade ur degree from india or any other asian countries....

then what should i do .... if suppose we have to fill gpa in the application box...

also if i enter my %age then i think i'm behind all those guys from the univs. from south india as here in north ... they don't give much marks..... i have rank 1 in my class...

please suggest some way out.... my %ge is 73.66

bye...