Sponsored Ad:

Thread: What do American GPA scores mean?

=)

Good post? Yes | No

Question What do American GPA scores mean?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello,

I am from New Zealand and have been trying to understand the relevance of American GPA scores to applying to graduate schools.

It seems like your GPA is a good way to find your "fit" to graduate schools without wasting a lot of money on application fees. My problem is I am from New Zealand, thus not American and GPA has little meaning to me. I am curious as to what kind of student a receives a 2.0, 3.0, 3.9, 4.0 and so on.

A lot of my curiosity comes from a website about grade inflation in US schools (National Trends in Grade Inflation, American Colleges and Universities) from the authors findings 3.01 is the average score for a public university and 3.30 is the average for private schools.

(I am not trying to say anything negative about American universities, I simply want to understand so I can apply to the correct "tier" of Universities)

Thanks in advance

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Operations View Post
    Hello,

I am from New Zealand and have been trying to understand the relevance of American GPA scores to applying to graduate schools.

It seems like your GPA is a good way to find your "fit" to graduate schools without wasting a lot of money on application fees. My problem is I am from New Zealand, thus not American and GPA has little meaning to me. I am curious as to what kind of student a receives a 2.0, 3.0, 3.9, 4.0 and so on.

A lot of my curiosity comes from a website about grade inflation in US schools (National Trends in Grade Inflation, American Colleges and Universities) from the authors findings 3.01 is the average score for a public university and 3.30 is the average for private schools.

(I am not trying to say anything negative about American universities, I simply want to understand so I can apply to the correct "tier" of Universities)

Thanks in advance
    i dont know what the grading is like in new zealand, but in the US this is the grade spread generally:
    4.0=A
    3.7=A-
    3.3=B+
    3.0=B
    2.7=B-
    2.3=C+
    2.0=C
    1.7=C-
    1.3=D+
    1.0=D
    0.7=D-
    0.0=F

So someone with a 3.3GPA has an averaged total grade of B+...keeping the above conversion in mind, it's easy enough to figure out your GPA (though keep in mind the amount of units too in your calculations).

If you're looking to get into grad school over here you should have at least a B average (3.0)...and for top schools at least a 3.5

=)

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks that is helpful.

So I went from a GPA of 2.5 (gaaah) in first year to 4.0 in my final year across a four year degree and an GPA of around 3.6-7. (I realize this is likely to be heavily inaccurate.)

I wonder what they will think of me. I'd like to think that I am special improving my grades so much over time but it is likely that the majority of students see a similar trend in their grades as they mature and graduation / the real world gets closer and closer.

I apologize for been another ignorant foreigner. This is the price you pay for having world class education =P.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi, I am also a foreigner (I'm from India), I would like to know how these American universities interpret "percentage" in terms of GPA?

For example, if I managed to secure 60% out of 100 in my baccalaureate degree, then does it mean my GPA is 3.0? (I know the principle of "conversion of percentage into GPA" varies from University to University)

But, can anyone provide some reliable information regarding my query?

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GenGRE View Post
    Hi, I am also a foreigner (I'm from India), I would like to know how these American universities interpret "percentage" in terms of GPA?

For example, if I managed to secure 60% out of 100 in my baccalaureate degree, then does it mean my GPA is 3.0? (I know the principle of "conversion of percentage into GPA" varies from University to University)

a 60/100 sounds like a D average to me, but i have no idea how people do things in india.

I know that it is harder in universities outside the US to get an A or a B (almost impossible in some cases)...i'm pretty sure that admissions people know this as they've probably dealt with several international cases before.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GenGRE View Post

I remember Duke's website has the conversion formular for different countries. you may google it. and I remember, for indian, 60% = B in US..(maybe I am wrong)

Good post? Yes | No
    Absolute Bull, as far as India is concerned.

Grading is absolute and depends on univ to univ, most respected univs in the US know your performance relative to your own univ and they don't want or expect any GPA, only absolute grading.

Thread Information