Urch Forums

Got a very bad GRE score..

newguyintown

Dear Friends,

I got a very bad GRE score 1190(750(q),390(v)).. Never expected such a low score. :mad:

My profile is as follows: 5 research projects including one at a leading European University, and two at India's most prestigious summer research internship programs. 1 jouranal publication,3 conference publications(all international), 1 poster publication. CGPA is 8.2/10. I am currently in my 4th yr BTech Biotechnology from a leading Institute of India. Was looking for some MS/PhD in related fields in US but am really crestfallen with the score.

Can you guys please advice in which rank universities I have little chance of success. Is GRE score that important in admission? :(

Hey,

Don't be so heart broken. GRE score is important but if your profile is strong ( which I think you have) and if you present your case well, then you should be ok. Biotechnology Companies are mostly concentrated in California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania followed by New York. There are moderate number of companies in Texas, Maryland and North Carolina. Thus, it will be very beneficial for you if you can strategically plan your admits.

My suggestions are as follows:

University of Pittsburgh

NCSU

RPI

University of Maryland--College Park

UC- Davis

I would also like to suggest,

Rice University

Boston University

Please make sure to make a very strong application; strong SOP and strong LORs can speak great deal of your intent.

I hope this helps.

All the best!

Hi,

I am currently a student of UPTU, INDIA in the final year of my B.Tech in ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS. I wud just wanna know that can u please suggest some institutions from where i can apply for research experience.

I REALLY WANNA PURSUE SOME RESEARCH INTERNSHIPS TO MAKE MY PROFILE A GOOD ONE...

REPLY AWAITED.

@Anurag

In India there are many CSIR labs having some form of internship programs. Try for IITs and also some NITs have opened internship programs. For gettin internship abroad you need 1-2 research projects in india. Europe is the most sought after destination. US is bit tough to get in paid internship. Try for the DAAD scholarship for Germany. Also try mailing to professors of other universities.

all the best.

I have been told that the GRE and especially the verbal section does not carry as much weight for foreign applicants as much as it does for Americans. The reason for this is that the test is designed for people bought up in the American educational system.

I always thought that the GRE was a test of aptitude. It's not. In addition to your IQ it tests how many concepts you know and how many words you can memorize. Obviously you would come across these words in the fields of higher study, but you would have two additional tools for cracking the words - reference to context and dictionaries.

You might want to mention in your personal statement that having been bought up in India, much emphasis was not given on English vocabulary. You can mention as a substitute, your command over other languages which I suppose will help.

Don't be so disappointed! The GRE is so much harder than TOEFL and hard for natives, too. I am not a native speaker and I got all my K-12 education

in my native country. I scored over 600 on TOEFL, but my GRE verbal score was 450.

I studied for almost 10 months, and this is what I got. I did everything possible. I am applying for UCSB and the website said the minimum TOEFL score was 550 for the department I am applying.

If you have good TOEFL score, it should be helpful.