Urch Forums

Conversion of Percentage to GPA

Bhanu_Prasad

Hi all,

I would like to know how GPA is obtained from percentage.Is GPA a comparative one or a absolute one.Are Acads from differenet countries considered on a common scale?(Universities of some countries award marks in copious amounts(e.g., China) and some are very stingy(e.g.,JNTU,India)).Not to demean any body.Iam just putting forward the information i have.

Note:USC(University of south California) considers 85% of china as equivalent to first class in India.

Waiting for your comments

• 2 weeks later...

GPA conversion

GPA is nothing but your Score when compared to your TOPPERS Score(Univerity Topper ) on a Scale of 4

Say your Batch topper has 80 % and yours is 70 % ; your GPA will be = (70/80)* 4 = 3.5

Great Point Average GPA = ( Your BE % ) * 4

(Your Toppers % )

let me know if you need further help ; good luck

i20fever, are you sure it's the university topper and not the college topper? Oak's academy told me it was the college topper who's marks were considered as reference.

Another thing - Should an Indian applicant always convert his marks to GPA before applying? Many people I know sent their apps with a note attached: "So-and-so class, No GPA system". Whereas your website says admissions staff won't even bother to read such an application. What would you say out of your own experience?

Thanks

Hi,

I actually mailed the university for more info when I was filling up the form. They asked me to make the best guess and enter the information.

i20fever, are you sure it's the university topper and not the college topper? Oak's academy told me it was the college topper who's marks were considered as reference.

Another thing - Should an Indian applicant always convert his marks to GPA before applying? Many people I know sent their apps with a note attached: "So-and-so class, No GPA system". Whereas your website says admissions staff won't even bother to read such an application. What would you say out of your own experience?

Thanks