Urch Forums

How good is MA program in Economics in Boston University?

LegolasEvaQ

Hey guys,

I really want to know how good the MA Econ program in BU is. I can find little comment from the internet about this program, and I know no one from there. I know that the Department of Economics of BU has a good reputation (by searching the ranking), but I wonder if the MA program is as good. I had this doubt since I read some negative comment about MA Econ program in NYU, about having different professors for MA program and PhD program and so on.This program is quite expensive (no funding at all for all MA students), and so is living in Boston. I really hope to know more about this program before I can decide.

Thx~

I've been offered an admission to the same program at the same university. Now, I have the same exact questions on my mind popping up every moment of my life! They keep it so confidential to release where do these graduates work at? They have final comprehensive exam to get MA degree and they don't give a piece of information what portion fails from this exam. And of course exact same funding problem here. Burns!

I've been offered an admission to the same program at the same university. Now, I have the same exact questions on my mind popping up every moment of my life! They keep it so confidential to release where do these graduates work at? They have final comprehensive exam to get MA degree and they don't give a piece of information what portion fails from this exam. And of course exact same funding problem here. Burns!

Sigh. It is so difficult to find any information. I searched every tread in this forum talking about BU but did not help much. I checked ideas econ ranking this morning, and BU Econ Department ranks 12. This is the highest ranking in all the places I applied to, but such an expensive program!

I also applied and got admitted for September 2011.

They have a lot of information and details on their PhD candidates and not so much on their MA students, which seems very very sketchy to me.

I actually emailed the coordinator asking her about placements, recruiting etc.

Let's see what she replies.

Sigh. It is so difficult to find any information. I searched every tread in this forum talking about BU but did not help much. I checked ideas econ ranking this morning, and BU Econ Department ranks 12. This is the highest ranking in all the places I applied to, but such an expensive program!

where did you get that ranking information from? I had checked usnews ranking and it was 24th, but they did not mention either it was for PhD or for MA. I wonder how many places there were in MA Econ program at BU, any ideas?

where did you get that ranking information from? I had checked usnews ranking and it was 24th, but they did not mention either it was for PhD or for MA. I wonder how many places there were in MA Econ program at BU, any ideas?

Hi, I get the ranking from here: Rankings at IDEAS: Economics Departments but this does not say the ranking is for MA or PhD, just "Economics Department". I checked this because my friend reminded me of this idea econ ranking the other day, I haven't checked usnews this year... BTW, I checked BU website today, and under the page "MA Job Candidates" there were like over a hundred names listed there! I started to wonder a little if this program is a "money machine" like what they described NYU MA program in another thread...

Hi, I get the ranking from here: Rankings at IDEAS: Economics Departments but this does not say the ranking is for MA or PhD, just "Economics Department". I checked this because my friend reminded me of this idea econ ranking the other day, I haven't checked usnews this year... BTW, I checked BU website today, and under the page "MA Job Candidates" there were like over a hundred names listed there! I started to wonder a little if this program is a "money machine" like what they described NYU MA program in another thread...

It states in the methodology part that "These rankings take only into account institutions registered in EDIRC and authors registered with the RePEc Author Service and the institutions they claimed to be affiliated with."

In my opinion, it doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the program. I don't know what you think about... Well, just to note again, BU is in top 10 every year for its largest enrollment and it has pretty high acceptance rate. So, it is normal to see hundreds of job candidates. I would not say it should affect to our decisions.

It states in the methodology part that "These rankings take only into account institutions registered in EDIRC and authors registered with the RePEc Author Service and the institutions they claimed to be affiliated with."

In my opinion, it doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the program. I don't know what you think about...

Hi, true that it does not provide any clear information about the program, but I cannot find any information elsewhere either. Anyway,here is another ranking, and this one looks more reasonable 2010 Ranking of Economics Graduate Schools — PhDs.org Graduate School Guide .

(I tried multi quote but I did not make it work). Maybe we can see what the coordinator will reply to zkk and get more information.

I am just wondering that did you choose this program because u chose to work after MA? Did you think about going to PhD after this MA?

Hi, true that it does not provide any clear information about the program, but I cannot find any information elsewhere either. Anyway,here is another ranking, and this one looks more reasonable 2010 Ranking of Economics Graduate Schools — PhDs.org Graduate School Guide .

(I tried multi quote but I did not make it work). Maybe we can see what the coordinator will reply to zkk and get more information.

I am just wondering that did you choose this program because u chose to work after MA? Did you think about going to PhD after this MA?

I read and heard many opinions that MA in Economics might just simply be a waste of time. However, I don't feel like spending 5years of my life even though I am enough young to devote 4-5yrs to it. And I am sure they had clearly stated that its not a terminal to the PhD program. I'd prefer working, then, return for an MBA program. It is math-intensive program and I am kind of deviating. If I found out that its ok, I'll go for more math-intensive part of Economics for a reason!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I've been given admission to the MA at BU and I'm probably going there. I've done some ground work by writing with specific questions to the coordinator and to some of the current students and some of this has been really helpful.

This is what the coordinator said-

"Roughly speaking, the pattern of placements of our graduates in the past few years has been as follows: approximately 10-15% went on immediately to pursue further graduate degrees (PhDs or Law being most common, MBAs and Master's in Finance in some cases); approximately 20-25% were foreign students sponsored by their home governments, central banks or private firms, and they returned home to pursue their occupations; of the remaining 55% or so of our graduates, most found themselves employed in some capacity as research associates or analysts, in consulting firms, investment banks, federal and local governments, international organizations and think tanks. They are particularly well represented in the consulting industry in the Boston area. Once you are enrolled in our program, you will have access to our placement web sites, alumni network and other support services.

As you may know, in the US system a master's degree is neither prerequisite nor direct preparation for economics PhD program (in the sense that the master's course work cannot be credited for a PhD degree). Thus preparation for PhD applications is not the primary mission of our MA programs. That said, as noted above every year some select graduates (about 15%) do go on to pursue PhDs immediately upon completing their MAs here, and they have gained admissions to some very prestigious academic departments (amongst them were the economics departments at Harvard, Princeton, NYU, BU, Wisconsin, Michigan, and various campuses in the University of California system.) "

I know...not very helpful right?

I'll tell you the other stuff if you'll reply...

Hope to see you'll at BU.

• 3 months later...

May I know even a gist of their requirements to be offered on this curriculum. I am interested.

• 2 months later...