Urch Forums

Good MA/Msc Econ programs with funding?

cfrv93

Hi,

So a few days ago I posted my profile on the PhD forums. The responses I got were that my maths background may seriously jeopardize my application to the tops PhD programs. I have looked around and added some more schools I will be applying to for a Master's. I wanted to know if there were any schools that provide full funding for a Master's degree in economics anywhere, with a good chance to go for a PhD at a top university. Please find below my profile:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics (Hons) & Philosophy minor

Undergrad GPA: 3.66

Type of Grad: None

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Taking it this November, but let's assume I get 90th percentile marks on verbal and quantitative

Math Courses: Business Calculus (A-), Statistics I (A), Statistics II (B+)

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Macro/Micro (A-), Intermediate Macro/Micro (B+), Introductory Econometrics (B+), Game Theory with some Linear Algebra (A-), Behavioral and Monetary Economics (currently taking those)

Other Courses: A Few courses in Political Theory for my minor (A-), currently taking Corporate and International Finance

Letters of Recommendation: I am positive I can get an excellent letter of recommendation from my macro teacher. I was his RA for about a year and a half now.

I have another teacher with which I have had a few classes and I think I can get a pretty good recommendation from her as well. I am undecided between choosing the Dean of the school or one of my philosophy teachers for my third one (my philosophy teacher has had more class time with me, but I have been RA for the Dean so not sure which one to go for.)

Research Experience: RA for Dean of School for about a year, RA for another professor for almost two years now. Also co-edited a book on Environmental Economics in Latin America, if it's relevant here.

Teaching Experience: None.

Research Interests: Monetary Policy, Game Theory and Asymmetric information

SOP: Not sure what this is.

Concerns: Well, my main concern is that my maths are pretty meager. If I get rejected for the PhD programs I want to apply for it may be because of that. My school is also very small and unknown, and doesn't produce many noteworthy economists.

Other:

Applying to: University of Maryland College Park (PhD), MIT (PhD), Columbia (PhD), Princeton (PhD), LSE (PhD); also Oxford (MA), Cambridge(MA), Duke (MA), Warwick (MA), NYU (MA)

I have also added to my list of MA programs Tufts and Fordham in the US, and also Tilburg, UCL, Universite catholique de louvain, UBC and Toronto in Canada, and BGSE.

Do you think that I can take some schools out/ put others in? I will still apply to my PhD programs, but if I can get into a master's without any funding, I don't really see the point in applying. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

cfrv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am in much the same situation as you are. I can't afford to pay for an MA/MS, and my documented math background is pathetic. My school only required one algebra and one stats for a BBA. I finished with a 4.0 GPA and authored a published paper, but I get the feeling my apps will be thrown out when they see what math I haven't done. I've already lost a year, and I'll probably lose another one trying to get caught up, but my current plan is to take Calc 1,2,3 and Linear Algebra at the local community college, it's only $120 / credit hour, for 16 hrs. Not ideal, but doable. Unless anyone else has any better ideas, I'd say go for that. I'm currently going through every school that has an Econ Master's to see what I can find, so I'll post again if I find anything promising.