Urch Forums

Kindly comment on my profile...

gforce

First of all, I'm applying to the MS(CS) course. With that out of the way, kindly evaluate my profile and suggest a few top univs where I stand a good chance...

Current status: 7th sem, BE(Comp Engg) from Mumbai University

1) GRE: Quant:790 Verbal: 710 Essay:5.0:(

2) TOEFL: 297 Essay: 6.0

3) Subject GRE in CS: appeared for the test earlier today...will probably end up with a 90th percentile or slightly more...

4) GPA: approx 3.6-3.7

5) I have done 7-8 projects, a few of them in some small firms with the rest being in college. My BE project will probably be implemented on a national scale if the mobile operators make a deal with the company I am working for (currently working on that).

6) A few solid papers, with a top prize last year at the regional IEEE event. However, I have not presented papers on an international scale.

7) Other details/extras: More than a dozen certificates in website designing competitions (local, regional & national level), a few certificates in other events, CCNA certification, will be getting the MCSE certification in a month or two, recos from college profs with no famous personality to support me :(

8) Stood in the city merit list in 10th and 12th.

What do u think are my chances?? Can I get an admit into a 'good' univ? Please reply...thanks.

Seriously, gforce you have a brilliant profile, specially all those papers and projects. You should really try for top universities like tans said. I wouldn't think there are very many better profiles. If there are many more, then people like me don't really stand a chance.

There are a few TMians who have a better profile....another thing to look out for is the serious challenge mounted by seniors--guys who graduated earlier this year or even earlier. These guys have much better averages/GPAs as well as a university merit rank..:(

You shouldn't really worry about other profiles. As I see it, your profile is good enough to hold its own as against others. As is always the case, there may be someone better than you. But they are far and few in between. So just relax and give it your best shot.

Btw, do you think doing MCSE has any relevance if I am interested in communication and computer networks ? I am currently doing that as well but I have 4 more papers to go. And how long did CCNA take you ?

Are you sure?? Looking at the profiles of fellow TMians like JO's makes me very nervous....:(

dude..jacob is bang on target...

You shouldn't really worry about other profiles. As I see it, your profile is good enough to hold its own as against others

besides am looking at a PhD and now with the Agre over, ( n u with a 90%ile) methinks u r right where u wanna b..

JO

dude..jacob is bang on target...

besides am looking at a PhD and now with the Agre over, ( n u with a 90%ile) methinks u r right where u wanna b..

JO

90%ile...?? :tup:

I'll give all TMians a big party if I get a 90+ %ile...and a bigger party if I get into the college of my choice.:grad: :)

Btw, do you think doing MCSE has any relevance if I am interested in communication and computer networks ? I am currently doing that as well but I have 4 more papers to go. And how long did CCNA take you ?

MCSE has some relevance in the broader context...what are the elective subjects that you taken? For a specialization in networking, it would be worthless to take the database elective. Take the elective titled "Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows 2000/2003 Network" or even the Network Environment elective subject... Hope this helps:)

The CCNA exam is very easy and can be done in just over a month. Of course, if you are free for the entire day, you can complete the course in a fortnight or so...it also depends whether you are taking some sort of coaching or a self study book.

Look gforce, you are underestimating your abilities. My suggestion is apply ONLY to the top universities that have solid research facilities in networking and distributed systems. You need to be more confident and have to believe in your outstanding achievements. Good Luck.

Thanks for the morale boosting post mate...cheers!!

Anyway, my main worry is whether to mention the percentage or convert it to GPA...coz guys from down south have massive percentages which are unheard of in my univ...:( This is my main worry at the moment.

Please comment on the following chinks in my armour (profile)...

1) Low GPA

2) Low GRE essay score (AWA score)

3) Not a 800 in the Quant section of the GRE

4) I have not given the TSE as yet

Your comments will be more than welcome...Thanks..

i think you are kidding or making fool of us....

just concentrate on yuor SoP. you have all the numbers to succed in the very top.

gforce, it's impossible for anyone to tell you if you'll get into a 'good' (read 'A+') university of not. It either clicks or it doesn't. Overall, I think you have a very good profile. There are innumerable factors that contribute to your admits. For example, many A+ universities look for a cosmopolitan classroom; if their quota for Indians is exhausted, they may not consider you, no matter how good your profile (i.e. it's a good idea not to delay your application). Also, since you're applying to CS, it just makes things more unpredicatable.

Your best bet is to apply to as many universities as you can - A as well as B grade. It'll cost you a packet, but I hope you won't consider it a 'waste' of money. Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck!