Urch Forums

What exactly are my options? What can I do to get into a good program?

junoo

Dear all,

I am about to finish my bachelor’s and need some advice on applications. I am interested in econometrics, macroeconomics and development economics and want to pursue a career in research; so I’ll need a PhD. My undergrad will be from a university that is known in the German speaking area, but practically unknown outside of it (at least I think so). I hope to strengthen my profile by doing a master’s, excelling there and be more competitive for a PhD then. I am willing to do a second master’s if that would be necessary and I am not too dependent on funding.

I have posted my profile below. It would be a tremendous help if you could name some programs where I’d have a realistic chance and which would help me to get closer to my goal. I am also open for any advice that could help me strengthen my profile. Are schools like the UCL realistic for a master's?

I am aware of the fact, that besides a somewhat ok GPA my profile is probably not that strong. I also effed up the only course that has the name “mathematics” in it, which I fear could destroy my chances. This is especially bothering since I am sure, that I have the abilities and motivation to complete a highly quantitative degree. Additional information: all of my econ classes required some of the topics discussed in this math course.

I still have to take the GRE and will have a strong letter from an econometrician and also from a lecturer from one of my business related courses. It is almost impossible to get another economist to write me a reference since my classes were so crowded and research assistant positions have been rare. However, with a little luck I could get another letter from a statistician, although that letter would not be that detailed.

I will be interning at Siemens this summer and will be responsible for a qualitative research project there. I also have the option of interning at UBS after that or I could try to intern at a research institution (like the ifo in Munich).

Type of Undergrad: BSc in Economics (specialization: Econometrics)

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (expected)

GRE: not yet taken

Undergrad Math/Stats courses: Introductory Math course C (covering analysis, financial mathematics, linear algebra, probability calculus), Statistics A (probability theory, principles of estimation and testing theory, correlation and regression), Econometrics I A (matrix algebra, calculus, multivariate models, Gauss-Markov proofs) Econometrics II A (ML, dynamic models, unit root testing, time series models, ARCH, GARCH, probit/logit, basics of panel data econometrics)

Econ courses: Introductory Micro (B), Theory of Economics Decisions (A), Introductory Macro (A), Economics of the Public Sector (A), International Trade Theory and Policy (A), Monetary Theory (A)

Other courses: Bunch of business related courses (mostly As and Bs)

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from an econometrician, 1 from business guy

Research Experience: /

Other Experience: Intern at Siemens, UBS(?)