Urch Forums

Admissions: UC3M (Spain) vs. Aarhus BSS (Denmark)

RubenDD94

Hi everybody!

I've been reading the forum for a long time but this is the first time that I post looking for your help. I'd appreciate any comments

I'm a undergrad spanish student starting my MSc in Economics next semester. My main goal is do a Phd in Economics after completing the master and my research interests are mainly in macroeconomics and microeconometrics (policy assesment), however I don't dislike other fields.

I've been admited in the elite program of Aarhus BSS "Internacional MSc in Quantitative Economics" (IMSQE) and the UC3M program "Master of Economic Analysis" (MAE). I think that both programa are quiet good and they will allow me to do Phd.

I have read many reviews about the UC3M program so I'm sure about what to expect if I do it. However, I don't find much information about IMSQE further from rankings and Aarhus BSS website, because it is a relatively new program. Does anyone know something valuable about this program? My main concern is about the internacional scope of this program because I have seen that the longer part of the faculty staff is from Denmark and their Phd placement is mostly in danish firms or at the own University. I also consider do the Phd at another place, so do you think that is useful do the master at Aarhus and then apply to other Phd program?

I'd appreciate any comment/advice or personal experience.

Thanks!

Hi Ruben,

I am planning to apply for MS in economics for 2017 academic year. I have not heard much about UC3M for their economic courses. Can you please share some details regarding the course you mentioned, UC3M program "Master of Economic Analysis" (MAE).

Any information will be valuable.

Thanks!

Hi Ruben,

I am planning to apply for MS in economics for 2017 academic year. I have not heard much about UC3M for their economic courses. Can you please share some details regarding the course you mentioned, UC3M program "Master of Economic Analysis" (MAE).

Any information will be valuable.

Thanks!

It is a well-known spanish university (I'd say they are only under CEMFI and Barcelona GSE, here in Spain) and well ranked in Europe (check some rankings such IDEA, QSUniversity or phdecon).

What you should keep in mind is that MAE is completely oriented to the Phd, so if want to do something leading to the labor market after the MSc look for another option. In fact, they propose an integrated program, 2-year of the master program where after the first year you are requiered to pass some "qualifying examns" (about the content of first year courses) in order to be elegible for the Phd program (furthermore you should achieve a specific academic performace in your grades). After this two years you can eiter start their 3 year Phd program or apply to another university (althought the purpose is to complete the 5 years there I have heard that there is no problem regading this last option).

About the coursework, the first year is devoted to a lot of study in the main areas (math, macro, micro and econometrics), while in the second year you are allowed to choose among a number of elective courses. I have heard that it is a rigurous program, highly demanding on quantitative skills. In addition, I think that they are particularly strong in econometrics (I think that in macro too, but I can't ensure that to you...) and have good faculty staff with many professors who obtained their Phd from foreign and reputated universities, as a great Phd placement (not as good as CEMFI for example, but good from my point of view)

Moreover, they offer a numer of scolarships ever for the master as counterpart of some TA duties (I haven't bee awarded with one, sadly... at least for now). You can check for more information on their website or even in this forum. (and if finally I go there, which is likely, your can ask me when you are applying of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ruben for sharing information about UC3M economics program.

It is a well-known Spanish university (I'd say they are only under CEMFI and Barcelona GSE, here in Spain) and well ranked in Europe (check some rankings such IDEA, QSUniversity or phdecon).

You have mentioned that UC3M is ranked after BGSE and CEMFI. I am aware of BGSE reputation but have never herd about CEMFI.

I checked on IDEA, Urch forum and other places for information regarding CEMFI but couldn't find any. Their website is also not very informative. Can you please share some information about their economics program.

Check their Msc placements:

CEMFI

Phd Placements (it seems that if you are good enough it is better to go abroad after the Msc)

CEMFI

Program and staff (plenty of LSE, UCL or MIT Phds, among others)

CEMFI

And spanish ranking at IDEAS (keep in mind that CEMFI is not consider more an "economic institution" than a "university", so it can be an issue for be ranked)

https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.spain.html

If you are really interested I think you can e-mail them (teacher or students) for further information, I've heard that they are really friendly.

• 1 month later...
Hi Ruben,

I wanted to ask you which school you will be joining. Will you be joining UC3M?

Finally I'm not going to any of the mentioned programs (I received a last-minute offer from elsewhere). However, if you think that I'm able to help you with anything don't hesitate to MP me.

• 7 months later...
Hi everybody!

I've been reading the forum for a long time but this is the first time that I post looking for your help. I'd appreciate any comments

I'm a undergrad spanish student starting my MSc in Economics next semester. My main goal is do a Phd in Economics after completing the master and my research interests are mainly in macroeconomics and microeconometrics (policy assesment), however I don't dislike other fields.

I've been admited in the elite program of Aarhus BSS "Internacional MSc in Quantitative Economics" (IMSQE) and the UC3M program "Master of Economic Analysis" (MAE). I think that both programa are quiet good and they will allow me to do Phd.

I have read many reviews about the UC3M program so I'm sure about what to expect if I do it. However, I don't find much information about IMSQE further from rankings and Aarhus BSS website, because it is a relatively new program. Does anyone know something valuable about this program? My main concern is about the internacional scope of this program because I have seen that the longer part of the faculty staff is from Denmark and their Phd placement is mostly in danish firms or at the own University. I also consider do the Phd at another place, so do you think that is useful do the master at Aarhus and then apply to other Phd program?

I'd appreciate any comment/advice or personal experience.

Thanks!

Hi RubenDD94,

I've been admitted into UC3M program "Industrial Economics and Markets". I wanted to get a feedback/review about the program and economics department at UC3M. My main goal is to do a Phd in economics after completing the master. I have compared the two programs offered by the econ department at UC3M - "Master in Economic Analysis" and "Industrial Economics and Markets" - and there's a significant difference b/w the two in all aspects. Since I was not offered the MAE program, I'm inclined towards accepting the other program. How would you rate this program to get into US top 30-50 Phd programs.

Thanks!