Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Help on choosing college for MA/MS eco

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Help on choosing college for MA/MS eco

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all,

I am interested in the field of Development economics and macroeconomics and want to pursue a Ph.D. post, my masters.
    I have received admission offers from the following universities for fall 2018.

1. Boston University (MA Economics, 1 year) - $57,000 (tuition)
    2. University of Minnesota (MS Applied economics, 2 years) - $50,000 (tuition)
    3. UT Austin (MA Economics, 1 year) - $21,750 (tuition after scholarship)
    4. Vanderbilt University (MA Economics, 16-24 months) - nearly $30,000 (tuition after scholarship)

Kindly advice me on which university should I opt for masters. I want to know about the following -
    1. How are the job placements post masters, i.e., what is the average salary?
    2. How easy/difficult it is to go from the master's programs of the above universities to their Ph.D. program?
    3. How are the Ph.D. placements of the above universities - where do students go?

Thanks!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Help on choosing college for MA/MS eco

Quote Originally Posted by div04 View Post
    Hi all,

I am interested in the field of Development economics and macroeconomics and want to pursue a Ph.D. post, my masters.
    I have received admission offers from the following universities for fall 2018.

1. Boston University (MA Economics, 1 year) - $57,000 (tuition)
    2. University of Minnesota (MS Applied economics, 2 years) - $50,000 (tuition)
    3. UT Austin (MA Economics, 1 year) - $21,750 (tuition after scholarship)
    4. Vanderbilt University (MA Economics, 16-24 months) - nearly $30,000 (tuition after scholarship)

Kindly advice me on which university should I opt for masters. I want to know about the following -
    1. How are the job placements post masters, i.e., what is the average salary?
    2. How easy/difficult it is to go from the master's programs of the above universities to their Ph.D. program?
    3. How are the Ph.D. placements of the above universities - where do students go?

Thanks!
    Hey,
    I'm no expert on the subject, but in my opinion, largely gained by from scouring various forums, combings the various rankings, placement reports and reputation opinions, I think of the lot you've received ab offer from, Boston University has an edge. There are a couple of reasons I see for this. Their faculty is top notch. Not to say that the others are bad or anything. But being in Boston, there is an added advantage of being in the midst of two of the greatest institutes for economics. Therefore the faculty is mostly from these two college. Apart from that, you get to (if you find the time) attend the various lectures and talks given by pioneers in their respective fields at these universities. UT Austin is also great, but if I were you, and I could afford the extra money, I'd pick BU.
    Cheers.

Thread Information