Urch Forums

Can you reject an offer after you accept

aclax2k

This might make some people real mad, but I have to ask anyway...

I recieved a conditional offer from one graduate school for master in econ, but with conditions that I retake the GRE and score better (basically Q: 800, original score 780). This puts me in the unenviable position of potentially accepting an offer and then being unable to go if I cannot score the 800, what should I do?

Can I accept at another school and then as soon as I fulfill the conditions (IF I fulfill the conditions) let them know.

This isn't just a prestige thing, the school I would accept and then potentially reject didn't give me any funding, and their response date is in the next week, aside from that I haven't even heard about funding at two other places which I might want to go to, so I can hopefull put their decision off for a bit on that point (the "Hey I need money, I am poor"-line).

Am I legally bound to go to a school where I accept? Will this follow me.

I wouldn't even consider this if I didn't have to retake the damn GRE's. Arg!

Guest WhenHarryMetSally

Before 15 April, you can accept and then reject.

This might make some people real mad, but I have to ask anyway...

I recieved a conditional offer from one graduate school for master in econ, but with conditions that I retake the GRE and score better (basically Q: 800, original score 780). This puts me in the unenviable position of potentially accepting an offer and then being unable to go if I cannot score the 800, what should I do?

Can I accept at another school and then as soon as I fulfill the conditions (IF I fulfill the conditions) let them know.

This isn't just a prestige thing, the school I would accept and then potentially reject didn't give me any funding, and their response date is in the next week, aside from that I haven't even heard about funding at two other places which I might want to go to, so I can hopefull put their decision off for a bit on that point (the "Hey I need money, I am poor"-line).

Am I legally bound to go to a school where I accept? Will this follow me.

I wouldn't even consider this if I didn't have to retake the damn GRE's. Arg!

'The Resolution is concerned with the conditions surrounding the acceptance of offers of certain kinds of graduate student financial assistance, namely, scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, and assistantships.'

I have expressed my intent to enroll at a particular school X. This school has NOT offered me "any kind of aid". I received an unofficial admit via Email and was asked to fill out the 'intent to enroll form' within 2 weeks. I still haven't heard from a few other schools that I had applied to. Suppose I decide to enroll at school Y after April 15, will an email to school X serve the purpose(esp. as I have got nothing to do with fellowships, assistantships, scholarships or traineeships ) or should I get a written release from them, .

aclax2k,

Do you want to go to this school if you get Q800? I mean do you think it worths trying? If yes, then accept the offer and go for it.

Are you waiting to hear from any "better" schools?

When is the deadline for the GRE Q800 ?

When is the deadline to decide for the other schools?

the problem is the unconditional acceptance response is due very soon (next week), but the conditional is due in like 2 months, and they haven't replied on funding or anything.

So there are two potential constraints to go to the second school, no money, and if I can't get an 800 on the Q.

These are things I simply will not know for at least a month.