Urch Forums

Research Experience

suez

Hi..I am from India.I really am wondering now ..what exactly you mean by research experience?

Universities seem to give a lot of importance to this. Could you ppl comment?

I have done a couple of projects in an Research and development organisation (all in Aerospace organisation,2 for my UG project work and one after my graduation ,but totally in my field-DSP(Electrical Engg) )..Would that amount to research experience?If I get a letter from a scientist in an RnD organisation saying I have worked under him,will it help?

How will the universities cross-check research experience?

Kindly enlighten ?

Thanks

Research experience- Generally means, working in a lab, getting experience in research techniques used in your field, and also possibly getting your name on some papers.

Yes, sounds as if you have research experience.

In general it is good to get letters of recommendation from a wide variety of people- some from people who have taught you, and at least one from someone who has worked with you- if you have work experience. It makes the admissions committee feel as if they have a "broad" picture of you. So yes, from the person you worked with at the R and D place would be good, as long as it will be a very strong letter.

Cross checking- usually a University will not unless they just happen to know someone on the project, or they think something looks odd on your application. Best to be honest for 2 reasons. Firstly, you could end up somewhere and be expected to do what you said you did on the application, and secondly, Academia isn't that big of a world, and cross checking could happen and then you are really out, no matter how great s prospect you were....

Good Luck!!!!