Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSE MSc Acc&Finance-Finance&Econ

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

LSE MSc Acc&Finance-Finance&Econ

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello people,

which of the 2 above you think is recommended, given that you want to work in the private sector and are not thinking on moving on to a Phd.?
    and would anyone know what are the actual admission requirements for these, except for the GPA requirement? I mean, things like work experience,languages,professional qualifications etc.
    and the GPA requirement is it absolute? what if you've done well during your last 2 yrs in school, as opposed to the first 2?
    thanks!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: LSE MSc Acc&Finance-Finance&Econ

Its hard to choose between them per se.Some people say MSc FE is much harder due to having an incredibly difficult econometrics course.Admission stats should be found on the LSE website. Both are ideal for any jobs in the Big 4, Investment Banking etc. If you still unsure you could apply to both courses.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

thanx big dog.
    would anyone know what would be the minimum gpa for being admitted, coming from a greek university?

Good post? Yes | No

I would suggest Acc&Finance but the difference is not that big. For greek univs the minium GPA is 7/10 but I think you need to have a lot greater than this and/or very good GMAT and/or very good personalised letters of recommendation. Letters "to whom it may concern" I don't think will do the job.
    From which univ. in Greece are you?
    Last edited by gstergia; 05-24-2005 at 06:08 PM.
    "It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner." Vince Lombardi

How to write a lazy proof

Teaching yourself how to prove

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte23
    thanx big dog.
    would anyone know what would be the minimum gpa for being admitted, coming from a greek university?
    Generally, the minimum is 7 / 10. Regading the GPA part of application, your chances of admission depend on the severity of your univ's grading system (e.g. 7 from asoee is harder than 7 from u pireas etc )

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyte23
    Hello people,

which of the 2 above you think is recommended, given that you want to work in the private sector and are not thinking on moving on to a Phd.?
    and would anyone know what are the actual admission requirements for these, except for the GPA requirement? I mean, things like work experience,languages,professional qualifications etc.
    and the GPA requirement is it absolute? what if you've done well during your last 2 yrs in school, as opposed to the first 2?
    thanks!
    GPA is one of most important factors. Then, GRE / GMAT (depending on your program, for Acc:GMAT, for Econ:GRE) is also very important. Generally, for LSE you must have a GMAT of around 650+ (85%+) (@gstergia, am I right on this one???), maybe close to 700.

In my experience, the GPA minimum is not *that* rigid; it can be flexible according to the univ from which you are coming from. Also, a low GPA (e.g. 6.5) could be compensated by a strong GRE or GMAT (700+), and strong LORs. At any rate, you can always apply at other univ as well as LSE . I ' ve heard of people with approximately 7 gpa to succeed in LSE, but obviously they had other strong areas in their applications and they came from good universities.

Regarding languages, Proficiencies (Cambridge or/and Michigan) are usually useless and you''ll have to sit for the TOEFL test (minimum for admission is 213 / 300, maybe you''ll need 250+).

Work experience might be useful if you apply at the Acc program, but not so much for the Econ/Fin program, except if work exp is associated with research output.

Finally, LORs should be strong and informative.

Good post? Yes | No

Well... once again the GPA topic... I say it is the ranking that matters the most. If you can get your professors to write that you were the best and/or among the best in your batch and/or your exact rank 1st,2nd etc then your GPA in absolute terms has not that much significance.

Think of it for a minute.

What is a "good" GPA 7/10?, 8/10? 9/10? Personally I would satisfied with 9+/10
    with 9/10 or 10/10 in all stats/maths/econometrics/micro/macro courses but this may not be possible. Since in Greece, UK and other countries professors grade in absolute terms 7 or 8/10 may be a top GPA.

In MSc Acc & Fin 117/1,055 (11% acceptance ratio) students were accepted and in MSc Fin & Econ 59/1,562 (3.7% acceptance ratio)
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/gradu...dEconomics.htm
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/gradu...AndFinance.htm

That means that it should be considerably more difficult to get in the MSc in Fin &Econ but this does not necessarily mean that you are in better position in the marketplace. Moreover the MSc Fin&Econ is probably a lot more technical = requires more mathematics = more difficult for most people.

I think that anything with Accounting/Taxation-Law/Finance is highly marketable.

I suggest that you apply to both programs and put as 1st choice the Acc&Fin and 2nd Fin&Econ.

Look from now for the professors/lectures who will write the best letters for you and not necessarily the most important prof who may ask his secretary to print out for you a 99% standardised letter.
    "It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner." Vince Lombardi

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Is it possible to go to PhD in econ after graduation from Msc.in Finance and Economics at LSE?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jugowar
    Is it possible to go to PhD in econ after graduation from Msc.in Finance and Economics at LSE?
    Of course...LSE is a great school...besides, a MSc gives you graduate trainning in econ which might prove to be a very useful asset in future PhD applications...if you do really well in this program, you'll be ready to go for top US schools...(provided you have a good profile in what regards GRE, letter of recommendation, SOP, etc)

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by jugowar
    I guess so, though applicants from MSc Econ will be more desirable and even more those from MSc EME. (given that they have the same GPA etc)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information