Urch Forums

Admit and Fin Aid Chances

Hi All,

I am looking to go back to school after 6 years in the industry. I had done my Under Grad (B Tech) from IIT in 1999 in Civil. I am in Software industry since then.. My CGPA was 7.0/10.

Now, I am interested in going for MS in Computer Science. I would like to know from you all about my chances of 1. Getting Admit and 2. Finaid from top (20) schools.

I dont have any research experience, and I need funding as I dont have any savings :-((.

Thanks.

Hello,

Welcome to TM!

I'm sure you realize that it's pretty difficult to get an MS admit along with financial support. Nevertheless, there are quite a few schools that are known to award some kind of financial aid to incoming MS-CS students.

Please post your entire profile (GRE/AGRE scores, papers/publications etc.) to elicit a better response.

Thanks GForce.

I have not yet taken the GRE/AGRE. and I dont have any publications too. As I said that I am switching fields.

I can manage few Reco letters from my UG profs, I guess I will have to rely on my past and present managers.

The work that I have done is good, It can speak about my Engg traits (Problem Solving ability, Analytical Thinking etc.) However they dont have anything as far as research work is cosidered.

I am confident that I can get good score in GRE, aroung 1400 (with 800 in quants). I have not yet started thinking about the AGRE though.

babypurin, I am not sure what 7/10 would be if it is scaled to 4.0, however my grades are below average from my undergrad school's standards, I think I was 20th out of a class of 35.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Update from my side is that I have decided to go to school as a part time student. I have persuaded my employer to transfer me to US for a couple of years .

Can you all give me your take on studying part time in US. I know that in India this is absolutely useless.

BTW, i took GRE, my score is 610V , 800Q. I guess this is what I was aiming at.

• 2 weeks later...

backtoschool,

Going to school part time is def not a problem. I went to school part time for my MS and worked full time. It was def really really busy, but I got through it.

If you work full time, make sure the courses are offered in the night. Also, some grad schools don't accept part time students.

hope that helps,

digi123

Hi everyone, Update from my side is that I have decided to go to school as a part time student. I have persuaded my employer to transfer me to US for a couple of years .

Can you all give me your take on studying part time in US. I know that in India this is absolutely useless.

BTW, i took GRE, my score is 610V , 800Q. I guess this is what I was aiming at.

Hey that's a great GRE score! I think in your case, switching fields and all, it will be a good idea to take the AGRE, to prove to admissions committees that you know enough about the field.

And indeed, you need to check out in which universities you are allowed to study part-time. And since your job is already arranged, you won't have to worry about that! Good luck! :)

Thanks for the information digi123 and cridamour.

@digi123 which school did you attend? and which subject?. also how long did you take to get your MS?.

I understand that it is going to be very busy, However I hope to 'bite only what I can chew'.

@cridamour even I thought of taking AGRE, Can you please tell me what kind of score will add to my profile.

Thanks once more.

@digi123 which school did you attend? and which subject?. also how long did you take to get your MS?.

I understand that it is going to be very busy, However I hope to 'bite only what I can chew'.

Thanks once more.

I went to Rochester Institute of Technology for CS MS. They offer a good part time program since all there MS courses are offered both in the day and night. I was going kinda slow, maybe one course per quarter while working full time, so it took me about 2 and a half years.

They offer graduate assistantships, but its VERY competitive to get one. I'm not sure if you can get assistantships if your only part time. I got fin aid from the company I worked for.