Urch Forums

ug econometrics-how important for grad MSc Econ, + age & PhD Econ?

grad06

Hi everyone,

im an undergrad at LSE, doing econ & economic history dual degree, need two 1sts in my 3rd year for a first class honours so overall my GPA should be high. Did alright in 1st-year math& stats courses (2:1),However I managed to properly mess up my econometrics course - got a high 3rd, real unlucky day and paper, s*** happens. haven't done my GRE yet but aiming at Q:700+

How would this be seen on the application when applying for MA/MSc Econ / Financial Econ? I know that there's a lot of stress put on math/stats, esp. econometrics in UK, when applying to grad schools - I'm looking at MPhil/MSc Econ in UK Ox-bridge + lse, & a few MA Econ (or variations of MA Econ) in US - top schools only.

I'm also interested in doing a PhD - however only after a few yrs of work (preferably finance/management consulting). The PhD would be out of personal ambition, & for future teaching + gov't/puiblic policy career..

- how do the better US/UK schools possibly view applicants in their late 20s with at least 4 yrs out of Uni?Is it 'wise' at all to take such a long break out & then opt for a PhD?

appreciate any help!!:)

Thanks,

well I've done calc/linear algebra 1st-year, and will be aiming as high as possible on GRE Quant, i.e. 750+, I realize that's what is needed for the top schools.

That is all fine and good, but the math tested on the GRE is not really above what most americans learn in High School (not sure about UK). In fact, some folks would probably do better on the test if they took before going to university. There are a lot of tricky, critical thinking type questions that you can ace once you have practiced and mastered them. So, practice, practice practice. See the test section of the forum for more on this.

Yes I know. It's like re-doing the SAT (least seems similar I only skimmed through a practice test), which takes a lot of practice and brushing up old maths, and of course watching out 4 tricky Qs. I am not worried about that, only whether having a poor mark in undergrad econometrics largely diminishes my chances of getting into a good econ MA/MSc.