Urch Forums

Please evaluate my chances

whyworryin

Hi Folks,

I have given a brief profile of mine below.. Please evaluate my chances in the univs i have mentioned below.

I am applying for MS in Theory Fall 2006. Ultimately want to convert it into a Phd.

Given my AGRE and expecting 750+

I have given my GRE and i have scored 1430 (800Q+630V). AWA 5.0

TOEFL : 263 essay 6.0

CGPA: 8.5/10 (topper is 9.4) it comes to around 3.62/4.0 ( i guess this is pretty low, infact very low for the colleges i am trying, please clarify)

College : Anna university,MIT campus

Summer Internship: I have done an internship at Microsoft India R&D (not in my area of interest, but still i hope it will hold some value)

and have taken part in many International online programming contests and won many. for instance

Won the 2nd place in the asian regionals of International collegiate programming contest.(ICPC 2005) at Kolkata with teams from all over china, Korea, Bangladesh, Singapore, India.

Its actually an algorithms contest and not a mere programming contest.

Consequently qualified for the WORLD FINALS(WF) OF ICPC to be held at San Antonia , Texas in April 2006. Only 80 teams from all around the world get to participate in the WF from over 6000 teams. Alot of big colleges(MIT, Caltech, Gatech, UMCP, Uwisc,Purdue) in the US are participating here.

1.was placed 26th in the asian regionals of International collegiate programming contest.(ICPC) (top 5 teams were not from India)

2.won the annual programming contest at IIT Madras as part of Shaastra 2004

3. won the programming contests conducted by Indian association of Research and computing science.(IARCS)

and many more contests. how useful are these results in programming contests.

I have also organized an International programming contest and many more national level programming contests.Also conducted a programming contest for the Indian Linux user groups (ILUG) . It was truly international in the sense that there was immense participation from all over the world in the end it was won by the former world champion.

Research experience : also worked under prof pandurangan of IIT Madras(former HOD) on steganography

I also have done a few good projects in my area of interest (algorithms,network security,cryptography and steganography )

my UNIV LIST:

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AID for 2 sems.

1. Stanford( cant resist my temptation!!!, i know its real hard)

2. UIUC

3. Gatech

4. Umaryland College park

5.UPenn

6.Umichigan Ann arbor

7.Purdue.

8.UCSD

9. UMass amherst(applied here alone for MS/ PHD)

10.SUNY SB

11. Rutgers

12. Uminnesota Twin cities.

Please reply soon..

regards,

Pradeep

Your profile is good. But I think you are applying to more universities that are above your level. If you do not have international publications (journal/conference) or strong AGRE (820+) it's gonna be diifficult to get into most of the universities you have mentioned. I think you can expect "almost" sure admits from the last 3. The rest are really good universities and you'll have to compete against applicants who 1) have a few publications, 2) Won many world finals of ACM ICPC/Regionals, 3) have AGRE of 850+.

Good luck!

-Bilash