Urch Forums

What to reply to the acceptance letter?

impop

What do you people write back to the univs which send you an email notifying you of your acceptance if you havent yet decided to take that admit and waiting to hear from other univs?

My email said this:

We are delighted to offer you admission to our PhD program. Our professors who looked at your file were impressed with your record and they were also impressed with your responses during the interview process. We look forward to your acceptance of our offer very soon.

You will receive a formal letter from our ... Please let us know if we can be of any help in ensuring that you have a smooth transition in joining our PhD program.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Congratulations again.

--------

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

impop: you don't have to reply anything! Only if you have already accepted an offer from another school I think you should let them know.

If you want to be ultra-polite you can send something like this: "thank you for your offer and for your email. I am still considering offers and I will send you my decision as soon as I reach one." (you know what I mean, just write it in better words.):D

Why people only post in forums when they need something? Just curious about that. :hmm:

Not everyone has something to contribute (yet). TM is made by people who ask and answer. Some people like me happen to think that they know more than what they have to ask at TM so, we post a lot! Other people prefer to ask and leave to more "knowledgeable" members to address questions. I wouldn't like to see everyone offering advice regardless of their knowledge of the subject. :D

• Like 1

Why people only post in forums when they need something? Just curious about that. :hmm:

I second reactor's comments, and I have this to add: why should you require someone to post on a forum in times other than need? i'd much rather have a forum with people keeping the silly chatter and back-slapping to a minimum than have to scroll through umpteen posts of drivel (I think TM is happy synthesis of these two, but the artificial lurker-antilurker dichotomy could ruin this).

• Like 1

There is not a false dichotomy. The word lurker exists and means something. Also exist people who participate a lot in forums trying to help others (as Reactor), so, what 'artificial dichotomy' is here? There is a real dichotomy: lurkers and people who help others (or try to do that).

The true is that there are a lot of people who could help many times (in the GRE maths for example) and don't post any comments. Of course there is not a requirement to try to help the others but if you see 1,000 post with questions related to many topics and you don't have any interesting to said after that I sincerilly doubt that you can go to a graduate school.

I agree with Reactor in these sense "I wouldn't like to see everyone offering advice regardless of their knowledge of the subject" but I not agree (in a moral level) with those who want only the easy part of the forums.

On the other hand I recognize that that that I was in a bad mood.

• Like 1