Urch Forums

NYU Econ PhD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The director of admissions from NYU called me and asked me whether I'm still interested in attending. Basically, he told me that I was accepted, but they don't want to make an offer to me if I'm no longer interested so that someone else who is interested could have a chance.

I can't see myself going to NYU over Yale, so I'm going to turn them down now so that someone else who is interested could have a chance to go there.

• Like 1

The director of admissions from NYU called me and asked me whether I'm still interested in attending. Basically, he told me that I was accepted, but they don't want to make an offer to me if I'm no longer interested so that someone else who is interested could have a chance.

I can't see myself going to NYU over Yale, so I'm going to turn them down now so that someone else who is interested could have a chance to go there.

Much obliged.

Two hours ago, I received similar e-mail from NYU about whether I would prefer them to make an offer or not. I turned them down. Hope, it helps some of you, guys. Good luck!!

"a student" you are doing great! Would you mind posting your profile?

I like that NYU asks people whether they would consider them. It gives the rest of us a better chance, and it also improves their numbers. If you say no, they can say they didn't make you an official offer...

Reply to an e-mail inquiry yesterday (3/10):

"The Admissions Committee is still meeting to consider applications for

our fall 2006 PhD program. No final decisions have been made at this

time and no letters have been sent out.

I hope to have more information in about 10 days."

Hey,

Do you guys have any insider info about how the application are reviewed by NYU? For example do they throw out the applications with GRE Q lower than 800 or GPA lower than 3.5? Tnx :)

I called them because of my GRE which was not perfect. Been told that their cut off GRE Quant score necessary for the rest of the application to be reviewed is 750. Again, they insisted that the perfect GRE may still be not enough for them since many GRE Q800 applicants have already been rejected in the past because the latter had not strong letters, research potential demonstrated, not competitive GPA (especially in quantitative and econ courses) or research interest match with faculty. Likewise, NYU receives more than 1000 applications and many excellent applicants cannot be offered admissions because of that. Let us suppose that among the more than 1000 applicants, barely 10% might have the above qualifications - even in this case, it is already impossible to make 100 offers or more ... let us pray to be among the very few ones accepted! Luck to us all!

I called them because of my GRE which was not perfect. Been told that their cut off GRE Quant score necessary for the rest of the application to be reviewed is 750. Again, they insisted that the perfect GRE may still be not enough for them since many GRE Q800 applicants have already been rejected in the past because the latter had not strong letters, research potential demonstrated, not competitive GPA (especially in quantitative and econ courses) or research interest match with faculty. Likewise, NYU receives more than 1000 applications and many excellent applicants cannot be offered admissions because of that. Let us suppose that among the more than 1000 applicants, barely 10% might have the above qualifications - even in this case, it is already impossible to make 100 offers or more ... let us pray to be among the very few ones accepted! Luck to us all!

Thank you very much uneyoshi. I wish you the best...

Just got admission and a fellowship offer from NYU. So keep those inboxes open!

(Also, thanks to those who turned down offers; one finally trickled down to me.)

Cheers,

Bill

Hey Bill,

Congrats!!! [clap] Would you mind sharing your profile?

Tnx...

I got my first admit! NYU, reasonably good stipend. Thanks to all who made room (even if I'd like to think I didn't need it).

Now I can stop hatin'.

My profile:

Math/econ undergrad at top 5 US economics program, 3.75 GPA, 800Q 5.5AWA, three years' random corporate and freelance experience in economics/consulting/finance in US and abroad, LORs from famous professors who didn't know me well and unknown professors who did, no research experience in economics. Currently making big bucks as a trader (!).

Rejected from Berkeley, Princeton, Yale and Stanford. Still waiting on a few.