Urch Forums

Who's going to attend the Maryland's Admitted Student day, march 27?

I will be attending too, although I'm not going to stay with a grad student because I live relatively nearby.

I wonder if it is worthwhile to attend the information day even if you probably won't attend the program, if only because it might give you some basis for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I also plan to attend this (tomorrow), but I never get an email on 3/10 about the time schedule of the thing. If somebody read this in time, can you tell me what's on the agenda and what time does it start?

Thanks a bunch.

Admitted Students Day

Monday, March 27, 2006

A map of campus is available at http://www.inform.umd.edu/CampusInfo/About_UMCP/Maps/

8:30 – 9:30 AM Coffee Hour – South Campus Dining Hall (Gazebo Room)

9:30 - 10:15 AM Welcome - Judith Hellerstein and John Shea,

10:15 – 11:15 AM Attached is a list of faculty who will be available in their offices and

a group of current graduate students who will be available in room 4105 or

4118C

Please meet in the hallway outside of the main office - 3105

11:30 - 12:30 AM Lunch – Stamp Student Union, Atrium Room

12:30 – 1:45 PM Attend the Econ 708 - Microeconomics Workshop - Room 2110

1:45 - 3:00 PM Attached is a list of faculty who will be available in their offices and

a group of current graduate students who will be available in room 4105 or

4118C

3:00 – 4:00 PM Ice Cream Reception – South Campus Dining Hall (Gazebo Room)

I went last year. The open-door sessions with professors can be a little awkward. Try to figure out who in the department you want to talk to, and a couple of questions or topics, before you get there. It helps you take advantage of the opportunity, rather than sit there tongue-tied for five long minutes, until the next student's turn...

Also, try to talk to some of the current students one-on-one or in a small group, so that you can get a feel for what the department is like on a day to day basis, not just when they are showing it off for prospective students. (I'm not implying that students are unhappy -- just that it's hard to really get useful information or feedback in one day packed full of big group meetings.) And don't spend too much time stressing over their two-track econometric sequence; there will be plenty of time to sort that out next year ;)

One grad student said this year's placements include UC-Merced, UNC-Greensboro, and Fordham. Also, Congressional Budget Office and EBRD.

We were given a list of recent placements (five per year for the last 7 years). They said only about 35% of grads take academic positions, which was a bit disappointing to me. Plenty of IMF/WB and CBO placements. Academic positions mentioned (most recent first): Brandeis, UC-Irvine, U.Oregon, Indiana Univ, UBC, U.Colorado, Chicago (2001- Chad Syverson), Fordham, Williams College, Stanford (1999- Michael Kumhof), U.Washington, MSU, and Vanderbilt.

I would still like a full list of placements.

I think departments are scared that we'll all be disappointed with our expected future job prospects. Clearly, they're going to tell us about the best placements, but I get a bit worried when the "best" placements aren't all that amazing. I also think it's a bit strange that there's Chicago and Stanford a few years back, but then the next best is probably Indiana or MSU... what's going on with the job market? There's no consistency here.

One grad student said this year's placements include UC-Merced, UNC-Greensboro, and Fordham. Also, Congressional Budget Office and EBRD.

We were given a list of recent placements (five per year for the last 7 years). They said only about 35% of grads take academic positions, which was a bit disappointing to me. Plenty of IMF/WB and CBO placements. Academic positions mentioned (most recent first): Brandeis, UC-Irvine, U.Oregon, Indiana Univ, UBC, U.Colorado, Chicago (2001- Chad Syverson), Fordham, Williams College, Stanford (1999- Michael Kumhof), U.Washington, MSU, and Vanderbilt.

I would still like a full list of placements.

This list is disappointing...I guess this is why they do not announce the placements on the web site. The schools with similar rank to UMD have better placements, what is wrong with UMD?

Btw, thank you very much for sharing the information...

I think it is really hard to read a school's placement history for relevant info. You should keep in mind that all schools not only rank their job market candidates each year, they also rank them with respect to previous job market candidates. Sometimes the graduating class just isn't that good and placements won't be great.

I firmly believe that if you go to a top 5 school, you are likely to be placed very well. but as you roll down the list of top 20 schools, placement becomes more about your ability and not the big name on your diploma. Every school in the top 20 occasionally places someone at Chicago, Harvard, etc. Those are the superstars that fell through the cracks in the admissions process for various reasons. If you are really that good, you'll get a good placement out of any top 20 school. Especially if you are already publishing and you have a great job market paper. A good program will see your talent, nurture it and do everything they can to place you at a top school.

The question is, am I good enough to pick off one of those great placements in 5 years no matter what school I attend? I really don't know the answer to that yet.

As for UMD, I think the proximity to DC skews the results. Many of the job market candidates are probably working for government orgs before they even finish the PhD. Don't underestimate how easy it is to slide into a job like that. You don't have to move to new city. You'll probably make more money than an academic placement. You don't have to go through a formal application process that is even more agonizing than what all of us are doing right now. Today, I really feel like I want an academic job placement. But that could change, wether I can see it now or not.

Just my 2 cents crew. hope it's useful.

Those of you at the visit day, any reports and impressions you could share would be great.

Thanks

TriEcon, that's one of the most logical and dispassionate takes on the issue I've seen on this discussion forum -- good job!

Thanks for the good words asquare.

Those of you that went to the visit day, please share your experience. The trip from London to DC was a bit too far and too expensive for me to make it. thanks.

I went to the open house, too. I was also disappointed by the partial placement record that they showed us. One-more-econ basically said all I have to say about my visit. :D

Thanks for the good words asquare.

Those of you that went to the visit day, please share your experience. The trip from London to DC was a bit too far and too expensive for me to make it. thanks.