Urch Forums

UPenn, Northwestern, NYU, or Columbia?

jackson23

I think NYU is preety strong in those areas. Development: Benhabib, Nyarko, Ray, Easterly. Political economy: Benoit, Lizzeri.

Penn is not so strong in development and in Political Economy there is Merlo, who is an NYU graduate.

I don't know about Columbia, but it looks very strong as well.

Northwestern looks relatively weak.

• Like 1

I think NYU is preety strong in those areas. Development: Benhabib, Nyarko, Ray, Easterly. Political economy: Benoit, Lizzeri.

Penn is not so strong in development and in Political Economy there is Merlo, who is an NYU graduate.

I don't know about Columbia, but it looks very strong as well.

Northwestern looks relatively weak.

In your shoes I'd go to NYU. But Columbia has the Earth Institute, so...

UPenn and NW don't seem good choices for development.

Are there any financial criteria that might help (or confuse) the decision?

I agree; UPenn and NWU do not seem that strong in these areas.

a and nyu already sent all admits?i did not receive any envelope or any information

i wonder wehther columbia really sents admits vie e-mail and NYU telephones if you can asnwer i would be very pleased good luck

As I said in the other thread, NYU said that not all decisions have been made, although they will be by mid this week. They seem to be going down their list, calling their top canidates and then confirming with email. This allows them to only admit those students that will actually come, and helps them contain the size of their class. I have not seen any rejections from NYU yet on thegradcafe, or on this site, but I may have missed something.

Columbia seems to have sent all admits via FedEx (or parcel post) in the last two weeks, with rejections coming by normal mail (most of the letters seemed to be marked between March 6th and 13th). Maybe they are holding back some applications just in case their response rate is lower than usual, an unoffical waitlist if you will. You seem to be an international student, so maybe it is possible that you have not gotten the letter from Columbia yet, I would suggest writing to them.

Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments! I am presently ranking them quite similarly to what you have suggested... First NYU, and a tie for the second place between NWU and Columbia.

The thing is that my interests may reasonably change after 1 or 2 years of intense PhD courses. Taking that into account, which of these universities (and UPenn) do you think that offers the best opportunities in others fields? That is, which do you think that offers the best balance between breadth and quality?

For instance, NWU is excellent in certain areas but very poor in other ones. I think NYU provides more balanced quality in a wider range of areas, although I may be wrong.

What do you think?