Urch Forums

MA Economics (NYU & Duke)

EconMist

I got into both programs and am deciding between them.

They don't offer funding as they are revenue generators for the department. It's also more of a professional degree than a stepping stone to phd programs for most. NYU does however have a "tuition incentive program" where they'll possibly match outside awards over $13k I think.

What are you planning to do with your degree if you attended one of these schools?

you'll definitely be competitive in consulting - this is one of the fields that I am looking at quite closely.

I don't know enough about the WB to make an accurate assessment there. My guess, however, is that it might be a tougher match with a less technical degree like the those from Duke and NYU. The more econometrics you include in your course selection, the better off you will probably be. My guess would be that you will find a decent job at a policy or research organization, but phd's are valued much more highly so you may hit a glass ceiling. Poke around on the WB site and see what you find.

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more insightful comments or set me straight if I've made mistakes.

Hi, I saw you guys thinkins about the MA program at Duke. I am finishing my master in economics at Duke and so far I can tell you that the programm here is not that good. Most of the classes you should take are undergraduate classes. So far there are only two specific master classes. I know the MA program at NYU and it is way better than Duke's in preparing you for a professional carrier.

I am finishing my MA at NYU. If you're looking for a placement at a consulting firm, get involved with Stern (NYU business school) as soon as possible. Stern has much stronger connections to the professional world than the economics department. If you're looking at the World Bank - you might want to try to get involved with the Wagner school (the public policy school at NYU), as they will also probably have better connections.

I think an MBA is a much stronger signal to potential employers than an MA is, if you are considering consulting. The problem with an MA in economics is that many employers don't know how what to make of you; you're better qualified than undergrads, but definately not of the PhD level. I think there also a far number of MBAs already in consulting and hence you have a much stronger network effect.

I think if you are interested in WB operational jobs - the public policy schools are a better bet: Kennedy School, Woodrow Wilson, Columbia's SPIC (sp?), etc . . WB research positions probalby require a PhD.

• Like 1

I know I say the same thing all the time, but really, there are very few useful MA econ programs in the U.S. Seconding the above comments about the Duke program, I've known people there, and they all know it's just a way to make money for the department. It's not really taken very seriously. They or NYU or BU or the other similar schools will never fund anyone for an MA, but you should know that by now. Most people outside the programs know enough not to take them seriously, because they're not at all comparable to the PhD programs at those schools. This isn't to say that an MA from one of these places is not useful, just that it's almost certainly less useful than you'd expect.

There are a few programs in the U.S. and Canada that provide a very good grounding in econometrics and applied econ., the kind of stuff that is actually useful. I know my program places people very well, since they come out with a LOT of econometric knowledge, and know SAS, Stata, and Matlab. These are skills you should be picking up in any reputable MA program.

The European master's programs are of course very different, but you're not getting any funding there, and they're definitely not cheap, either.

• Like 1

Bill,

I've had limited experiences with the PhD students and the faculty. There really is a separation between the MA students and Phd students.

Based on 2nd hand comments, it seems like NYU's program the first year is pretty rigorious, especially the math series that you go through. The first semester I hear is managable, but the 2nd semester can be tough. I've heard some students complain about the numerous problem sets that they are always doing.

The seminars that I've been to have been great. I've heard that NYU gets some strong participants in their seminars. Last year I saw Acemoglou and Gleaser discuss the determinants of growth.

Overall, I think it's a good department. Note that physically the economics department is up on 16th street and 5th avenue (I don't know when they will move back to the main campus), so you're a bit far from the library and other NYU resources.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

I know an MBA would be better, but since I'm just graduating I would need to get a few years of work experience first. I've been looking and applying for jobs, and to be honest my degree just isn't doing anything for me at all (despite being summa cum laude and having a financial internship). In retrospect I might have been better with a finance/accounting major. In any case, I'm in the position of not being able to get worthwhile work experience for an MBA down the road. MSF (Finance) programs that I have come across are just as costly, don't offer impressive placement, and are at less prestigious schools. I wonder if other people feel as frustrated as I do when they realize their (somewhat) hard work in undergrad just doesn't pay off.

If I wanted to sell insurance or something id be fine, but its tough to break into some of the more competitive career fields with a state school BA.

OT: sorry to write here, but I would not know where else.

Today I am going to accept Duke's offer (Pratt School of Eng).

Marco30 (and, in case you are @duke, notacolour) : would you mind sharing info about Duke?

thanks anyway for your attention and sorry for intrusion ;)

Hey kmhickey, if you are just graduating and you want to be in the job market I strongly suggest you to find a job first, gain some experience, applied for the MBA and then get a better job. The job market is not like academics at all. I know because I have 6 years of experience in consulting and what is most important for consulting firms is experience followed by an MBA.

As an example I can tell you that a guy in my previous company got an MBA from MIT but still his boss was a guy with a BA from USC but with years ahead of experience. So think it really carefully in what you want to do and as I told you the MA will be less valuable in the job market than the MBA but experience will beat them all.

I know an MBA would be better, but since I'm just graduating I would need to get a few years of work experience first. I've been looking and applying for jobs, and to be honest my degree just isn't doing anything for me at all (despite being summa cum laude and having a financial internship). In retrospect I might have been better with a finance/accounting major. In any case, I'm in the position of not being able to get worthwhile work experience for an MBA down the road. MSF (Finance) programs that I have come across are just as costly, don't offer impressive placement, and are at less prestigious schools. I wonder if other people feel as frustrated as I do when they realize their (somewhat) hard work in undergrad just doesn't pay off.

If I wanted to sell insurance or something id be fine, but its tough to break into some of the more competitive career fields with a state school BA.

I think what people are trying to tell you is that by doing the MA program, you're not really going to be better off -- so imagine the situation you are in now, but with much more school debt.

A couple other notes: there are also these financial engineering degrees that DO have good placement and DO come from good schools (i.e. NYU, Columbia, CMU, Berkeley). Also, Princeton has a MSF -- is that not a good enough school? I can't imagine NYU's MA econ program offers better placement than these finance programs.

And yes, getting a job is hard -- not just for you, but for everyone -- don't just run back to academics because the real world scared you.

What's your major/school? Are you getting interviews? If you're summa cum laude, it couldn't be as bleak as you make out.

I'm an econ major at SUNY Buffalo. I guess I just thought that doing an econ masters with a concentration in something like financial econ with a bunch of courses at a b-school would give me a better base of knowledge and more skills to sell to potential employers. I've been actively searching for jobs for the entire year and have gotten a couple interviews, but the only things that have been offered are pretty much insurance/financial advisor type stuff. I'm not running scared back into academia, but I think I could be a bit more prepared so that I don't end up doing something I dislike for 3 or 4 years before b-school. Not to mention the fact that its gonna be tough to get entrance to a good school if my experience is not up to par.

I don't think your school puts you at as much of a disadvantage as you think. Do you think there are no SUNY grads working in industry here in NYC? Of course there are. Maybe you won't have all the advantages of a Columbia grad, but there are options for you.

If you've spoken with the faculty of these programs, and they can assume you they have decent track records of graduates getting goodjobs, then maybe it isn't a bad idea, but personally I think you'd be better off sucking it up, and puting in the work to find a decent job -- maybe do some temping or something to pay the bills while you're doing that -- and then going to b-school after a couple of years. Note that b-schools weigh gmats heavily and certainly even a so-so b-school will probably give you better opportunities later on than an econ MA from duke or NYU.

P.S. good idea avoiding the financial advisor positions.

Kmhickey, why is it that you don't want to work before grad school? Or do you just want to get it over with? I, for one, am an international student and cannot get more than one year experience even if I wanted to. However, if you can, and if MBA interests you, go for the experience. It really is not that bad. And MBA is just two years, so you are really in a good situations. Also, your undergraduate degree in economics will help you because I hear that MBA programs favor economics students because they believe that they are more math oriented than other business students (which is true most of the time).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

All

I have a question too :hmm:

I have got an admit into the MA Program at NYU. I have heard some positive and negative feedback about the program. I want to pursue a career in Economics and I am not too keen on doing my Ph.D. I currently have a BA in Economics and a Masters in Human Resource Management. I need some help on the following questions:

1. How are the placements for this program. Is it easy to get a good job post the program?

2. I heard the faculty for this program are all adjunct professors and may not be very good. Is this correct?

3. Is this program recognized worldwide? I may want to work in several countries including India.

Thanks for your time

Hi to all... I also just got accepted into the NYU MA program in Economics. I was very exited at first, but this blog has certainly lead me to doubt! I am an Economics major, from Ecuador, I really love economics and don't like MBA's, but I am not sure I want to dedicate my youth to academics or research (there goes the PHD). My aim is more towards International Economics or a job as an economic analyst at firms as Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, etc.

Is this MA program going to get me there? NYU is a top 10 ranked in economics, how "un-serious" can it's MA in Economics program be?

I also made it the Ma Econ program for this year. Can some one please tell me what is the acceptance deadline....I have not recieved the official letter by post yet!

It understand that four weeks after the date the acceptance letter was dated (mine was Apr. 11). I am from Ecuador and I already received the package, I guess you will be receiving it shortly.

Hey,

Sorry for hijacking the threat...but MA Econ threats seem hard to come by on most forums ;)

I'm an economics major (in the UK, which means I just do econ and math) and am trying to choose which programmes to apply to next year.

So far, I found the masters in duke, at boston university, nyu, and oxford (where I'm now) and cambridge very interesting. Having spent the last three years in the UK, I'd be happy to go overseas though. I don't know whether I want to continue to do a Phd afterwards or not just yet.

Does anyone have experience with applying or attending any of these? It's quite hard to determien how competitive they are. Or can someone think of any other programmes worth looking into? I also checked Chicago's MAPSS and Columbia's MQ QMSS, both seem very interesting.

Thanks!

I am an MA graduate from NYU and am in a PhD program right now. Here are my quick thoughts:

1) If you are thinking about the business sector - it's better to get an MBA.

2) If you are thinking about international development/government you should seriously look at MPAs at Columbia, SAIS, Harvard, Princeton, etc . . .

I think the MA at NYU helps people with weaker undergrad backgrounds be more competitive when applying for PhD programs. If you take this route, be sure to get to know two full time faculty members in order to get recommendations - these count for a lot!

Those who are doing development and are either thinking PhD or possibly evaluation work should probably really look into the MPA-ID program at the Kennedy School - top notch and you have lots of options aterwards.

Good luck to all.