Urch Forums

LSE MSc Econ vs MSc Econ Research

Can anyone clarify how progression to the PhD from the MSc programs works at LSE? Specifically: the difference between the MSc (Economics/Econometrics and Math Econ) and the MSc Econ/EME Research at LSE. I was accepted into the MSc EME (1-year).

I was told that since I have a 1yr-MSc offer, I would have to reapply to the PhD program once I’m registered for the MSc. But if I switch to MSc EME (Research) I wouldn’t have to reapply.

Isn’t the MSc Research a 1 year program also? I thought it was the same courses.

Also, does anyone have good info on what “overall distinction” is? (The website says that students who obtain overall distinction in the MSc may progress to track 2 of the MRes/PhD program and that distinction corresponds approximately to being placed in the top quarter of the MSc Economics class. But a friend of mine who was there last year said about the top 10-15% of the MSc class obtained distinction.)

Thanks.

The difference between MSc and MSc Research is that, the latter is guaranteed a conditional offer to transfer to PhD after the first year while MSc students have to apply for the transfer and may get rejected directly (without the conditional offer!).

You got a distinction in a paper if you score 70%+, a merit if 60-69%, etc.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/schoolRegulations/regulationsForMAandMScDegreees.htm

I guess the overal distinction means that you obtain an average of 70%+ out of all the papers.

hi stefani,

check

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/graduateProspectus2006/taughtProgrammes/Default.htm

for program-details

MSc Economics

MSc Economics (Research)

MSc Economics (Two-year route)

Application codes: L1U1 (10 months); L1U3 (Research); L1U2 (22 months)

Duration: full-time 10 months, or 22 months for those who first register for the preliminary year. Part-time in exceptional circumstances only

Student intake/applications in 2004: 108/1,210