Urch Forums

Ph.D Econ at SUNY Buffalo & Clemson U & U of Oregon----need suggestions

DarekSun

:hmm:

Apply: Ph.D in Economics

Background: BA in Economics 3.8/4.0, MA in International Economics 4.08/4.5

GRE: V 370 Q 760 A 3.5

TOEFL: 230

Accepted: SUNY Buffalo, Clemson U, U of Oregon, American U, Southern Illinois U, and U of Texas-Dallas

Rejected: too many

My first round application was a failure. So I applied some other schools in March. I don’t know the ranking of those schools which accepted me since they all are not on top 50. I need your suggestions on the first three schools-----SUNY Buffalo, Clemson U and U of Oregon. How are their Ph.D Economics programs? I am more into Labor, Industrial, International Economics.

Also, I am thinking about applying the program at UC Santa Cruse next year. If they accept me, I will transfer there.

If anyone knows anything (pros and cons) about those PhD programs, please drop a note. Thank you so much for your time and help.

I can only talk about U of Oregon, since I did some research about that school and talked to a number of profs and former students from there. Oregon is barely outside top 50 (62 or something), and also, depending on the field you are interested in, it can be strong. Their internatiional trade department, with Bruce Blonign, and Ron Daves is very well recognized (as recognized as any top 30 school, i would think). Also, everyone i talked with there say the program is very friendly and the atmosphere is very supportive.