MS in Management Science & Engineering, Stanford

Nutellla75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I intend to apply for the MS&E program for the 2008 intake. Any one else applying for the same?

I would also like some feedback from current students doing the course on the strength of my app

Background: UG : Engineering (EE)

Work Exp: Technology, 2 years (will finish 3 by May 2008)

GRE: 800 (Q) 630(V)

Appreciate all feedback..

• 5 months later...

I have submitted an application for Fall 2008 to Stanford MS&E program and awaiting a reply:

A. GRE

- 750q

- 500v

- 4 awa

B. Work Experience: 12 years executive experience-- Held CxO positions at 3seperate successful startups.

C. Education: MBA Entrepreneurship, M.A. Educational Technology, B.S Cellular & Molecular Biology, Certificate in Advanced Computer Security from Stanford.

D. Rec letters submitted- 5 total: 2 from work associates (1 is Stanford J.D.), 2 from past professors (1 is Stanford Ph.D CS), and 1 from past President of above mentioned startup company (Stanford M.D.).

F. Several years supporting IT research environment at Salk Institute and other academic research computing environments.

G. Author of 6 U.S patents and 2 pending applications.

H. Statement: Focused on my need to continue learning and augmenting knowledge with a forefront educational curriculum; need to be involved and connected to leading edge Silicon Valley IT research community; interests lie in dynamic modeling of IT service engineering & decision-making.

• 2 months later...

hi everyone,

I got offered admission for the master in ms&e for next fall (2008). I also got an admit to Columbia's MSFE and I am having a hard time choosing between the two. I know they are different and this is the reason I applied to both of them, because I didn't want to tighten my range of opportunities yet.

Here's my profile:

2nd year student at a top engineering French school

GRE scores :800q, 620v, 4.5awa

TOEFL: 115/120 iBT

close to no work experience (I did go to Moscow and work in some random factory this summer, but not sure it is really relevant aside from the fact it is unusual)

anyone of you got in ? and for those who applied the year before, how did it go if you attended ?

any feedback would be welcome.

Stan

@Ancalagon the black: no I am from Ecole Centrale Paris, best school after Ecole Polytechnique. I missed Polytechnique by almost nothing but whatever, Centrale did great for me.

thx chatimuu and I am sorry for your rejection hope you get in next time.

To write a good statement of purpose, I think you really need a good and creative opening, then quickly describe how you are a great student and you got all the abilities necessary to follow that program. Then go on and talk about different things, I mean non scientific, like either literary or social or physical activities whatever. Mainly show how this program really helps you with your vision of your future, eg do you want to create a start up in the silicon valley ?

Talk about some experience you had, possibily work experience, i don't know...

But really try to get very good GRE/TOEFL scores, you really need an 800q and 600+v and like a 110+TOEFL. I got two friends at the same school, we've got the exact same GPA, all three of us have brutal recos and a good statement, but I got in and they didn't because they have worse results at their GRE and TOEFL.

• 2 weeks later...