Urch Forums

How to calculate GPA ?

talon

• 2 weeks later...

Most universities mention on their webpages/online applications about what to do if you dont have a GPA on 4 point scale.. (for non American schools).. In fact,most grad schools advise NOT to convert percentage into GPA. They will do that themselves adn the percentages are on your officla transcritps.. For universities that insist on a conversion to 4 pt GPA (from the applicant's side) also mention the oraganisations etc whose services may be used for GPA conversion (but very few ask for this)

I suggest that you should not convert percentage into GPA yourself (if the university is not asking compulsorily for a GPA)

Thanks Pheonix!

I think people are also just looking for an idea of what schools they'd be able to get into with their grades. It's difficult to know where to apply to if the cut-offs are given in GPA. We have no idea what that translates to in our grading system.

it's very simple dude, but first you have to know your credits hours.

divide your percentage with your total credits hours those you are studed in your college.

What kind of system is that? Example: European student needs for a Bachelors degree 180 ECTS points, let's now assume a percentage scoring and this guy gets a 100% score, that would mean that after your system he has a (100/180) which is about 0,5555555......, so that would be his GPA.

Sorry but I don't think your system is that easy, or have you forgotten to mention something??? :hmm:

And the thing is, if u are in sweden for exapmle, they also have their own points system, where u need 120 points for one year, so the same guy in sweden yould have a higher converted GPA. This makes me crazy, I just don't get it, am I really missing something or am I just to stupid?:mad:

• 1 year later...

Thanks for that information, Calmlogic; it is helpful.

In my case, it is not possible to precisely convert % to GPA. For CGPA, I was once told to divide my % by the topper's % and multiply the result by 4. This gives a very rough estamation and is not highly reliable. Admissions commitee are generally aware of major universities worldwide and give them due credit accordingly. However for admissions purpose, the WES estimation seems quite reliable for most well-known universities.

Besides, even in US, a GPA of 3.5 at some X university is counted less from the same GPA at a well-known undergraduate department. Accordingly, I thinkly the cut-off should also vary, though marginally in most top schools.

• 1 month later...