Urch Forums

Low GRE + High GPA = PhD?

memyselfandi

I am an undergraduate majoring in Political Science (with concentrations in Political Theory and the American Founding). My GPA is 3.92, and I have taken a number of advanced political theory courses in addition to the general PS requirements. I have taken part in a number of political theory fellowships and rather selective summer programs in classics and political science. In Fall 2008, I hope to enter a PhD program in Political Theory, though I'm only in the early stages of the application process.

Although I consistently scored between 1330 and 1380 on my practice tests, my GRE score on the real exam was a mere 1230 (660 V and a rather pathetic 570 Q). My question is simple: should I retake the exam or hope that my otherwise good record will offset my low scores? While I realize that my verbal score is in the 93rd percentile, it is still at least 50 pts lower than my typical practice test scores. The quant score isn't really important for a political theory program, but I was usually scoring around 650 on the Powerprep practice exams.

What do you think? Should I try to redeem myself for retaking it or rely on other areas? FYI: I'm planning to apply to Boston College, Notre Dame, University of Chicago, and Claremont Graduate U.