Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About GPA

Good post? Yes | No

About GPA

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi,
    Is that true that the last 2 years' gpas are taken more seriously than the previous 2 years' ?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yes. This is especially true if you took all your gen ed. classes in the first two years - they care more about the courses you took in your major, which are usually courses you take from sophomore year onward. Some schools (like Berkeley I think) ask you to actually calculate your GPA from the past two years. If you really blew it freshman year, you might include an addendum where you discuss the reasons why: it would be appropriate to mention there what your GPA would be if you excluded your courses from freshman year, or the courses you took when you were in a different major, etc.

Furthermore, if you're in a master's program, your grades from the master's program matter more than from undergrad.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    wahl:

I am doing a post graduate diploma concurrently with my bachelors. We have no general courses .... only ones related to the field of study. My PGD is in computer applications and my bachelors is in business (finance) because i am interested in MIS programs.

Would you think that they would see both scores as being equally important?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Not sure. I think the more difficult courses, which are presumably the ones for your PGD, would be considered more heavily even though you're taking them at the same time. Grad schools want to know how you will perform at the graduate level, and the best way to know that is by looking at grades in graduate-level courses. On the other hand, your PGD and bachelors are in different fields, so they'll be forced to consider both sets of scores.

Good post? Yes | No
    wahl:

Thing is, in India, we have a lot of different schemes of marking. My undergraduate total score is given as a percentage but individual scores are in grades .... which appear low (B,C). No one gets A other than Lab courses because A is 80%+ in any course. My mean score is 70% and my mean class rank is 4/150. But, the individual grades appear less if you see them in accordance with the US system.

I have an ok gre (q770, v700, awa 6.0) so i don't see myself getting any special advantages there.

In my PGD, the marking system is different. There are no overall scores of GPA, only an overall grade. My overall grade is B but as usual, hardly anyone gets A (75 - 84%) or S (85% +)

Also, 99%+ people do PGD after undergraduate degree, but I had taken another diploma course to this PGD track which allows me to do both concurrently. I have the heaviest course load (11 courses per semester of 4 credits each course)

But, I am really confused because when adcoms will see B and C on my transcript, I will be thrown out ... no one will read my research ... ... atleast thats what talk on this forum seems to confirm.

Good post? Yes | No
    My university is also highly ranked ... its 11th and of course, the first 7 are the IITs... but the IITs dont teach BBA...

In BBA program, we are ranked 2nd in the country.

India Today Ranks VIT UNIVERSITY as No.1 Private Engineering Institution in the Country
    ‘Outlook’ Ranking of Top Govt. Engineering Colleges-India AdmissonSync

These are from Outlook and India Today rankings of 2007 ... you might say that they correspond to the US News rankings in India. How would the adcoms view this?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I'd say that the adcomm will know that your BBA program is highly ranked, and will consider that instead of how your school ranks on the whole. Also, if they've taken students from your school in the past, or if they're familiar at all with foreign grading systems (likely), they won't take your letter grades at face value. Your rank in your class and the rank of your school will be paramount since they won't really know how to convert your grades (unless they've dealt with other students from your school before). They might also consider the grades relative to each other, i.e., where did this student excel and where did he clearly do worse?

Good post? Yes | No
    wahl:

Check out this amazing link.

Perspective on Graduate Admissions for International Students, UW-Madison Graduate School

According to this link, my university is considered to be "good school" whereas IITs are the "top schools"

Whats the difference? Can you give an example in the US?

Driving mom and pop crazy

Good post? Yes | No
    @ Ancalagon The Black

"no one will read my research"

Dude, if you have good LORs and proper research papers they sure will. Some of my batch mates also got in top 5 univs with partial aid, despite avg. GREs (1200s) and GPAs. And we are not from IITs, but VIT U, which is a lesser ranked univ. All this because, they had good intl. publications.

So, I don't think you have to worry about the univs reading your research, if its published at good conferences.

Good post? Yes | No
    wahl: I have one more to add. In my PGD, the pass percentage is 50% for all applicants. That is, if 100 applicants apply, about 50 pass out of it... the exams are that rigorous. I can prove this because this statistic is available on the institute website on the official newsletter.

Where can I mention this? Is this good or bad?

surana_h:

I have 8 publications in national and international conferences and in 2 journals (one of them is the journal Management Science) I am actually banking on that.

Incidentally, check out the link, Vellore is ranked pretty high by India Today 2007. I am from Jadavpur University.I have loads of friends in Vellore from my school. Which year are you in? Where are you applying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information