Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plz evaluate...urgent

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

plz evaluate...urgent

Sponsored Ad:
    hi earthlings.....im a lil confused bout which univ i shud apply to...although ive chosen d colleges i wanna apply to i donno if i hv a gud chance @ getting an admit.......my scores r like:
    gre general test:1520
    toefl ibt:111/120
    me applying for MS(Chem engg) to d following........
    georgia-tech,caltech,cornell,utex-austin,minnesota,berkeley,purdue,uiuc,waterloo(can ada)....
    shud i apply to average colleges as well...?????
    i feel i hv a gud profile but nt really feeling optimistic bout my admission to ne of dem.......PLZZZZ IF NE1 CAN OFFER NE KINDA ADVICE.......por favor, el señor FEEL FREE TO MAKE NE SUGGESTIONS.........DATS ASAP....!!!!!
    thanx in advance.........!!!!!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Research experience? Undergrad university and GPA?

Good post? Yes | No
    ohhkkkk.....so a detailed profile required....

me doing me B.E from DCE.....which is among d top 10 engg colleges in india......

departmental rank is 1....we get scores in %ages n not GPA's........so my cumulative %age is arnd 85%.......(which by indian standards is very gud....)....been a meritorious student throughout school n college.....got merit certificates 4 clearing maths olympiads n many others..........

unfortunately dont hv much research experience.....i did one industrial summer training in Reliance industries(well known)......a minor training in college n a minor project in another college........n am currently doing a gud project in thermosensitive polymers.....

apart 4m dat....ive lotsa ECA to talk bout in school as well as in college....

earthlings...por favor, el señor REPLY ASAP COZ IM REALLY TENSED UP......N NEED D ADVICE......

Good post? Yes | No
    ohhkkkk.....so a detailed profile required....

me doing mY B.E from DCE.....which is among d top 10 engg colleges in india.....ranked after IITs......

departmental rank is 1....we get scores in %ages n not GPA's........so my cumulative %age is arnd 85%.......(which by indian standards is very gud....)....been a meritorious student throughout school n college.....got merit certificates 4 clearing maths olympiads n so on..........

unfortunately dont hv much research experience.....i did one industrial summer training in Reliance industries(well known)......a minor training in college n a minor project in another college........n am currently doing a gud project in thermosensitive polymers.....

apart 4m dat....ive lotsa ECA to talk bout in school as well as in college(both technical as well as non technical activities)....

earthlings...por favor, el señor REPLY ASAP COZ IM REALLY TENSED UP......N NEED D ADVICE......

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Sounds like your grad project counts as research! The work experience also helps. How long have you been in grad school working on that project, and what was your contribution? I guess I'm really confused because you're applying for an MS, but already doing a grad project. What's the story?

I ask about the research because that's going to be a big deal for schools like Caltech, Berkeley, Minnesota... BTW, I'm at Caltech. Are you sure we offer an MS in ChE? There are requirements listed for this degree, but I think it's just something people pick up along the way to the Ph.D.: I don't know anyone in that dept. whose terminal degree is an MS. I'd look into that.

Good post? Yes | No
    ill xplain...im in fourth yr completing my B.E degree.......d proj im talking bout is a winter training project...Yea its a gud research project....i said its GUD....not a GRAD project......bovine mastication u suggest sum other schools....coz my aim is an MS n not a Phd..........

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    hey ancalagon the black...i donno bout dis outlook wala issue....coz d top iit college is iit delhi n not iit kharagpur(latest survey)......so dere goes.....d list topper in d outlook list is debatable........wat matters is d reputaton of a college.....hope u get d drift...........

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Opsie !! Pressed submit by mistake:

As you notice, DCE is ranked 14 and 12 respectively by India Today and Outlook in 2007.

The hard truth is that preference is always given to IITs. So, if you are up against an IITian, you are dead, as am I (I am from Jadavpur University, Kolkata ranked 11 in both rankings)

Your GRE and % is excellent. I suggest using WES to convert the % into the GPA. They are bound to mark it as 4.0 --- that will help. Finding funding is difficult for MS programs and indeed most top schools do not have MS only programs as wahl suggests.

However, for Fall 2007, my friend from Stephens chemistry got into Brown PhD with a 1440 GRE so all hope is not lost.

Having said that, I think that you should apply to any school you feel like as you have a damn strong profile. (I only have a 1470 GRE)

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Oh, "GUD," haha. Would have guessed you were Jamaican!

Your scores are great for an MS program, but you're going to have to find schools that offer them yourself I think. I really don't know anything about that. Also, I think there is a concern for foreign grad students applying to MS programs when it comes to getting a visa or being admitted: you have to prove you can afford the program, and you won't have any time to work on the side. Your problem as an international student is that you can't take any of the gov't. loans that all the domestic students rely on to pay for their MS, so you might need to have cold hard cash sitting in a bank somewhere in order to get in. Is your plan to stay in industry in the US? You might need a PhD at any rate.

Another bit of advice: extracurriculars are not important for grad schools. I've done many myself but won't be mentioning them on applications (few applications even have a space for that). It's not like undergrad, where they care whether or not you're a well-rounded person. Grad schools just want to know about how you'll succeed in their field.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information