Urch Forums

Goals statement, SoP, personal statement??

rabab99

In theory, goals statements and statements of purpose should focus on what you want to study in grad school and what you will do once you have your diploma. It's appropriate to mention your research experience in those essays, but don't try to tell the story of your life. "I've wanted to be a mechanical engineer ever since I got a set of Legos for my fourth birthday" does not belong in a statement of purpose or goals statement. The personal statement can include more information about jobs and experiences you've had that maybe weren't related to research, like TAships or how you became interested in your research topic. However, these lines are often blurred, and many people write just one essay that doubles as a statement of purpose and personal statement.

You can find many examples of statements of purpose at this website, which is designed to help people edit their essays. You will see that many people do not follow the weak definitions I gave above. The distinctions aren't significant.