Sponsored Ad:
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Accept an offer, then later withdraw?

  1. #1
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    7


    Good post? Yes | No

    Accept an offer, then later withdraw?

    Sponsored Ad:
    I am wondering about your thoughts on accepting an offer, only to withdraw it later? Before you all gang up on me, here's my scenario.

    I've been accepted to University A, with full funding. However, they have me a short deadline (next week), or else, if I past it, I am still admitted, but without funding. I am currently waitlisted at one university, and still haven't heard back from another, B and C, both of which are my top two choices. (University A would be by #3 choice.) B and C will let me know if a spot opens up, whenever it does, up and until April 15th. I'm tempted to accept A's offer. And if B or C has a spot open, I withdraw A's offer.

    I know, this isn't really nice, and I really don't want to do this to University A. It's just that they gave me a very short leash, but I'm still waiting to hear from all these other schools. All universities A, B and C are my top 3 choices, really, but A would be my #3 choice. Obviously, if B or C accepts me, that would be great.

    What are your thoughts on this? I don't have a specific question, but feel free to post your experiences if you've done this before. If you still want to gang up on me, I guess you could do so. But it's not like I want to do this.

    --

    Also, I should also note that University A first told me of the acceptance back in January -- they first gave me a deadline of February 12th! Obviously, I asked and got an extension, until early March. Early March, and I still haven't heard back from my 8 other schools. I asked for another deadline, this new one, which they said they can't extend. Again, I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, especially my top 2. (I've heard from some already, some accepted me, but I've declined.)

    And no, it's not like I make a habit of this. I just feel pressured to do so. I really don't like want I'm doing, I don't, but I feel I have no choice.

  2. #2
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    7


    Good post? Yes | No
    what are A, B, C universities?

  3. #3
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    7


    Good post? Yes | No
    To euges429, I think university A knows you don't really want to go there because you asked for the extension twice. If I were one of your potential supervisors in university A, I wouldn't have a good impression on you. So, what you should do right now is to send emails to B and C for your application status. If they don't reply you, that means they are still considering your application and I think you should accept the offer from A.

    Even B and C accepts you, the offers may be quite different from the one of A. Say, half funding or heavy teaching workloads. So, the safest way is to accept A.

    If B or C accepts you with the same or even better offers, then.....if A is very far away from B and C, (personally) I think it is still ok to reject A. Of course you have to think of a extremely beautiful reason to reject A. The positions of A, B and C matter because if they are close to each other, they may have a interconnection. (You should know what I mean).

    I know it is a tough choice for you. I also have a similar situation. The difference is I just got an offer from university A. They have not set the deadline for me. Well, I mean I knew I am accepted via phone. The official acceptance letter is coming.

    I also have university B and C, which are better than university A. I am also on the waiting lists of B and C respectively. Of course, my situation is better since I have more time to think about it.

  4. #4
    Time for Showdown
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    india
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    7


    Good post? Yes | No
    the choice you make depends totally upon
    1. which university offers courses that attract you
    2. or upon financial aid that should attract you if u do not want to spend a fortune on ure studies.
    3. a little upon the university brand
    what ever it is make sure u consider your options carefully . the best thing would be to explain ure situation to ure dept. head and request if possible an update on ure admission status.Many schools have already made decisions but wait formally for a specfic time to announce results.
    good luck

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody holding on to a BC offer they are not going to accept?
    By maxutility in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
  2. Don't know which offer to accept
    By chin_music in forum PhD in Economics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 09:39 AM
  3. Is it Legal to withdraw the offer?
    By gracec in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
  4. Turn down offer already accept
    By hdta in forum Admissions Results
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 03:47 AM
  5. Can you reject an offer after you accept
    By aclax2k in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.