Urch Forums

University selection help

Hi ,

I have not yet taken the GRE but needed help to choose schools based on my estimated score etc , i wanted to shortlist 5 schools which we can apply to at the center after the CAT,I will be taking the GRE end of July got 2 months (almost) for it.

I was going through some previous similar posts and found one helpful post by calmlogic

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/82279-please-help-me-choose-universities-ms-cs-ce.html

I took the GRE estimator link and this was the prediction given to me

CS Graduate Acceptance Estimator Results

What i would want to know is how are schools shortlisted since there are loads of options , i am considering prime criterion as

1. Quality of the course and the department rankings

2. Cost

3. Adaptability

I am a CS graduate from MAHE with a GPA of 3.8 (2/60 ranking)and 3 years of work ex with major companies one in the networking domain and an ERP major(SAP).

My recos will mostly be from professors and ,am expecting a score of 1400-1500.

I believe we are set on the same stage. Good luck !

You have not mentioned what you want to do ? Honestly, I being a Chem student, I cant help you much with CS related queries, but as an advise, I would recommend you to visit Find the Graduate School That's Right for You — PhDs.org Graduate School Guide as it contains very reliable information on various US universities. Besides you can always use US News ranking for finding about top universities. (I would recommend top 10 universities on the basis of quality of undergraduate research you might have done, not on your GPA or GRE scores alone.)

Also, its better to select this combination of universities at this point in time: 3 dream universities + 3 average chances + 2 safe universities. Now once you have selected 8 universities, make a choice of 5 universities which you might be sure of applying. If you are sure of applying to all 8, then you can make random selection. However remember that people often change their choices when they are ready to apply, so its always advisable to make choice with little care. Hope this helps.

thanks Schemz , i am planning to apply for a MS in Computer Science.Hoping to finalize 8-10 schools by the end of this month at least.

I did check this site and the details of the services out seems a bit expensive to me , will have to look for other options.