Urch Forums

Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses :-)

FAFA

"Universities should require every student to take a variety of courses outside the student's field of study because acquiring knowledge of various academic disciplines is the best way to become truly educated."

The author of the issue asserts that universities have to require students to study a variety of subjects, not connected with their major field, in order to educate students in the best way.I completely agree with the author's point of view and I will explain my opinion.

First of all,I think that studying subjects only within one field seriously harms a student.In regards to the topic I have an excellent example from my personal life. When I finished the secondary school I decided to apply to the economic department of one of the universities of my city. At that time it was difficult for me to realize what was interesting for me, so I chose economics only because it was the most perspective occupation and it gives an education in the field where I can always find a job. For several years I had to study only economics and economics-related subjects. Only occasionally I started to study English, I started to play musical instruments and I realized that economics is not the sphere where I want to spend the whole my life. Many of my peers had the same situation. I think that it is absolutely necessary for each student to attend as much classess as he/she can in order to get knowledge in variety of subjects, choose the one particular field of his/her interest, and move forward in this direction.

Secondly, I consider that having classess in different areas can significantly contribute to the student's outlook. Each educated person with no regards to his major, should have a basic knowledge in many spheres. For instance, if a student studies physics, he can not be a truly educated individual if he knows nothing about arts or music. It is not necessary for such student to differ, for example, soprano voice from baritone voice, but to have a basic knowledge of such composers as Mozart or Beethoven will be useful.

Thirdly, I think that attending classess in various subjects, participating in group projects and team work, can help a student to easily establish rapport with people of different backgrounds and interests. I suppose that such communication will help a student to get acquainted with the people of different occupations and even find friends. In modern world a wide range of acquaintances in different fields may be useful for professional sphere also.

Thus, I can conclude that acquiring knowledge in various areas can only contribute a student, help him to find a right path in his life, and make a lot of acquaintances and friends. I think that universities should require students to take the courses outside their major.:p

• 3 years later...
good article!

without any prejudice I think this essay is weak and cannot be graded as 5, maximum 4.5. The reason that I won't grade this essay 5 is the unilateral approach of its author's reasoning. The argument was constructed in the way not to consider the possibility of counter side opinions. The author sets one's own ideas forth and disqualifies any possibility for the reversed situation(s). This essay is considered not strong in the analytical approach needed for Issue analysis topic elaboration, and I have already explained why.