"It is possible to pass laws that control or place

limits on people's behavior, but legislation cannot

reform human nature. Laws cannot change what is in people's

hearts and minds"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It is certainly true that laws serve to keep in check the

actions of people in the society we live in. Nevertheless this does

not mean that people with malovelent intentions should be tolerated

until they partake in something heinous.

A law by definition is a protocol which society lives by. From the

above argument the meaning of law gets ramified. One meaning we can derive

from this is that, law defines the a set of behavior deemed acceptable.

The other important meaning of law is that, it is also the set of rules and

regulations the society maintains. Civil laws, tax laws, wealth laws and traffic

are not directly related to human nature. They are the laws that have arisen

due to the circumstances we live in. To illustratre this further, consider traffic

laws. These laws are in place to prevent chaos from ensueing on the streets. As our towns grow, it becomes harder to maintain order, and hence the need so such rules. Infrastructure laws helps society from creating completely hapazard houses and buildings.

On other hand, laws that deal with human actions like criminal laws

are harder to maintain due to the capricious nature of the human mind. We cannot completely dismiss the works on Sigmund Freud and other eminent psychologists. They have shown without a shadow of doubt, using psychoanalysis and behavioral studies the factors that affect and encourage the development of human mind into malovelent beings. Using their proven methods in therapy or coincilling can help troubled minds find solace before they do damage to themselves and to society. It is the resposibility of parents to nurture children in an happy environment. Laws are only preventive measures. True reforms must start at home. On the contrary, it is true that legislation cannot change what is within a human's mind. The only way legislation can prevent ill intentions is by creating a sense of fear in people. The sense of fear will always make one to think twice before doing something criminal. Ethical issues like capital punishment also arise in this scenario. Capital punishment helps to instill the ultimate fear in people. The fear of death. If not for the love of mankind, people will think twice before doing an ugly action, only due to this fear. We cannot completely depend on finding

the cause at home and treating ill-will in its stages of infancy. Stringent laws

are hence required to help society to live without a constant fear.

To conclude i would like to say that, it should be made mandatory in schools

to find and correct troubled minds. Reformation is always difficult at later stages. Laws should be instill a sense of fear. Laws of some theocratic states which perform public execution, are an example. Thses states have lowest rates of criminal offenses, due to their stringent laws. Laws like these should be supported.

Hi,ennui( are you always tired ?)

I donot think my english capability is enough to be a judge, so I just want to tell u some of my thinking about ur essay.

I read it and try to analyze it,

first, it seems u completely agree the issue.

then, you try to explain the definition and the function of the law on the second paragraph.

Moreover, you illustrate the law bring to people fear but cannot change people's mind and heart.

Summary in the finally paragraph.

Civil laws, tax laws, wealth laws and traffic

are not directly related to human nature.

----but I think these laws are clearly directly related to individual.

malovelent beings------what is it?

It is the resposibility of parents to nurture children in an happy environment.

----Don't you think this sentence is a bit sudden with former sentences?

Laws are only preventive measures.

----Really?? After the criminality, the criminal would be punished according to the law.

True reforms must start at home.

----You means only the power of education can change people's mind and spirit, so a complete sentence is expected.

On the contrary, it is true that legislation cannot change what is within a human's mind.

The only way legislation can prevent ill intentions is by creating a sense of fear in people. The sense of fear will always make one to think twice before doing something criminal.

----Your statement is ex part and the tone is extreme. The law gives people a judgement and a norm to behave, a standard to protect citizen's freedom and interests, to fear criminals and punish them. To put forth autocracy to few and democracy to majority.

Law :

n 1: legal document setting forth rules governing a particular

kind of activity; "there is a law against kidnapping"

2: the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization

presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for

jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"

[syn: jurisprudence]