Urch Forums

021 Reform is seldom brought about by people who are concern

ramya

021: Reform is seldom brought about by people who are concerned with their own reputation and social standing. Those who are really in earnest about reforming a government, an educational system, or any other institution must be willing to be viewed with disdain by the rest of the world.

To whosover reads this essay

Hi ! I am studying in final year B.E Computer Science & Engg and I’m giving Gre on 23 Oct. Please let me know ur views about my essay and whether you think it will get at least a score of 4. I am wondering whether I should postpone my exam till my essays improve. My problem is that I have a good vocabulary but my writing tends to be brief and to the point. So kindly drop a reply if you read this.

"Reform is seldom brought about by people who are concerned with their own reputation and social standing. Those who are really in earnest about reforming a government, an educational system, or any other institution must be willing to be viewed with disdain by the rest of the world."

Reforms are essential for the continuing progress of humanity.The word 'reform' itself explains its significance. To reform is to re-form ideas, concepts, institutions, beliefs. To challenge established beliefs and institutions is a daunting task, one that requires total commitment on the part of aspiring reformers. To be concerned with his own reputation and social standing is for a reformer to meander from his stated path.

History is a wonderful teacher in this respect. Disillusioned by the rigidity and inflexibility of the Catholic Church, Martin Luther attempted to redefine Christianity in terms of the Protestant faith. This was a bold step, especially when we think of the omnipotent Church in those days. Luther was branded as a heretic and was ostracised. But he threw all concerns about personal reputation to the winds and devoted himself to furthering his cause. The point to be made is,would Martin Luther have achieved similar success if he had devoted his energies to enhancing his reputation and social standing.

A reformer must,if he wishes to succeed, have the courage to face disdain and contempt. Often the goals of achieving the desired reforms and conserving social standing are directly in conflict with each other. In such a case, the reformer has to choose one of the two.

The process of reform is such that public acceptance is not forthcoming at the beginning. Even those who may later accept the reforms are initially circumspect in endorsing them. History is rife with examples of luminaries like Martin Luther King, the proponent of Black civil rights and Mahatma Gandhi, the endorser of non-violent protest. These reformers had to face a lot of opposition from sceptics who refused to believe that what they strived for was possible.

The reformer loses focus when he lets his personal reputation to take precedence over his commitment to his beliefs. By sacrificing his reputation and social standing early on, the reformer stands a better chance of achieving his ideal since he can work wholeheartedly. Also, he often regains his social standing in greater measure than before after succeeding in his mission.

He who ventures nothing stands to lose nothing, but does not gain anything either. The reformer who takes the safe path of conserving his reputation and social standing stands to lose in the long term. Thus only those reformers who forgo acclamation by the society of their times earn a place in history and the reverence of future generations.

Hi Ramya,

Good essay there. Martin Luther example is just apt. Try including more examples, say those of Galileo's and Nicolaus Copernicus's heliocentric system -anti Ptolemy geocentric theories which were severly castigated by the ecclesiastic society. Also include an example of a corrupt and materialistic reformer who was interested in his own gain, if you know any (Well, I could not think of any).

Anyway, dont fret too much on the essays. Your stories are pretty decent I feel. I've seen websites that say your Q and V scores carry more weight than the AWA.

Btw, I too am a CSE final year student. Where are you from?