Urch Forums

ISSUE- Academic Discipline ... rate this please anybody!

DAIZZY

"The study of an academic discipline alters the way we perceive the world. After studying the discipline, we see the same world as before, but with different eyes."

I am in agreement with the above statement that academic discipline alters the way we perceive the world, and after studying the descipline we look at the same things in a different way. Academic discipline has a profound affect on human mind and thinking. Studying academic discipline can change the way we, as human, see the world around us. The influence made by the discipline can easily be observed in our personal and social life.

First of all we need to understand what is an academic discipline? There are a number of disciplines that people learn and master in them. Some of them are social and physical sciences, history, arts, etc. Each of them has a different influence on human thinking. Humans are the only known beings in this universe that has a craving for learning. Through out the history of this world, we have tried and tried in order to fully understand this universe and master every academic discipline. The knowledge of various disciplines had changed many previous assumptions about things and the way people had perceived certain things. Before Galelio, scientists have believed that the earth was flat and its the centre of the universe, but Galelio had totally changed the veiw and perception of the universe and declared that the sun is the centre of the universe. This is a perfect example of looking at things differently after studying them closely and completely. We can find many other examples in our daily life. For many of us art is a very complex thing, especially the idea of abstrsct art is most difficult to comprehend. Personally, I was not a big fan of modern art, but when I took an art class and done some work in different types of art then I understand the true nature and purpose of arts in our life. My perception about arts changes totally and I was looking at the same art works with a whole different meaning. And that affect was just after taking only one class.

There are many other examples of the influence that studying a discipline can make on human mind; such as, most of us know how to drive a car. We know how to use and enjoy the navigation system, CD player, blue tooth, and all the other gadgets that come with a car. Most of us look at a car as a mean of traveling or recreation. If we talk about a common person who enjoys the music while driving a car and looking at beautiful scenes outside can be leisure time for that person. This person knows the important of an automobile in his/her daily life, but he/she may not know how a car moves and have no knowledge of how the engine works what so ever. On the other, a mechanic is a person who has detail knowledge of automobiles may have a difference experience while riding a car. He can tell from the sound of the car about the effeciency of the engine, which for other people can be nothing more that a noise.

An academic discipline has an important affect on our minds and thinking. Whether it is a science, arts, or history every discipline can alter our way of looking at different things and the way we perceive them. The influence is great and it can easily be seen in our daily and social lives.

Edited by wasleys
Removed Textese from title

I'd give this essay a 2 or a 3.

The intro is a bit repetitive. The second paragraph looks like you grasp the issue, but then wanders. The third paragraph lacks a clear direction on first reading... needed a few readings to understand.

I think you may have missed the point the author is trying to make with the issue. This can happen, I've found it happens to me most when I try to jump right into the essay without getting my thoughts and outline on paper.

For example, maybe the study of a language.. Spanish, for instance, helps you appreciate the works of Don Quixote in a new light. You may be able to pick up nuances in characters that you couldn't pick up in the translation to your native language. Perhaps the study of weak chemical bonds in your chemistry class leads you to understand the forces that allow an insect to climb up your window. This could even push you to innovate a new adhesive that can seal bottles, or something. It isn't that the world has changed.. it's exactly as it was before... the only thing is you've changed, you see things differently, you are able to draw inferences and conclusions based on new experiences.

You come close with the Galileo topic, indicating how he refuted conventional wisdom about the universe and it's workings. But you haven't spent enough time saying that his theories were the result of careful study of math and astronomy. The mechanic is a better presented topic because you focus a little more on the fact that his specialized learning provides a more enhanced understanding of the car's intricacies.

You should check out the book GRE. Answers to the Real Essay Questions. It's the best book I've found, and one that's improved my writing style a good bit on first reading. Hope this helps!,

Diego

Feel free to grade my essay if you have a minute.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gre-analysis-issue/126769-please-rate-ill-rate-yours-should-public-figures-expect-lose-their-privacy.html