Urch Forums

[GRE Revised Test] Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade student

Hi,

Here is one piece of my response to an ISSUE topic of the GRE revised test. Any comment is appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Topic: Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Instruction: Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

RESPONSE:

It is true that some people have spent many years studying in one area but they end up with failure. In light of this situation, some people claim that educational institutions, with the responsibility to lead students to success, should dissuade them from pursuing fields of such study. However, in my opinion, the responsibility of education is to cultivate students’ interests and develop their learning skills, not to dissuade them from pursuing certain studying subjects.

As far as I am concerned, whether one could succeed in one area depends heavily on his interests and professional knowledge, both of which are gained at school. Thus, educational institutions are responsible for teaching professional knowledge and cultivating students’ interests. Suppose a school provides good teachers and sufficient studying resources. Usually, good teachers, instead of just telling knowledge, demonstrate conclusion to students, and inspire students. They also know how to elicit students' energy in learning. Then, educated by such good teachers, combined with good studying environments, students attending such a school have a great chance to develop their interests and enhance their learning skills. Eventually, motivated by great interests and equipped with solid professional knowledge, they are high likely to success in their studying fields. This is true in nearly all fields of study. Hence, to educational institutions, it is not a "persuading" or "dissuading" thing. Rather, it is a matter of “teaching” and "cultivating".

In challenging my point of view, one might argue that students, with different personalities, may respond differently to the same teaching strategy. In other words, it is possible that even if the educational institutions provide students the best teachers and the most advanced educational equipments, there is still a possibility that they finally fail in these areas. I do agree that such cases exist. However, according to my observation, the main reason underlying these failures is that education institutions failed to curtailing teaching methods in accordance with students’ studying habits. Hence, it is still a question of “teaching” and “cultivating”, not ”persuading” or “dissuading”.

In conclusion, educational institutions are responsible for teaching. If they fail, students pay the price. Therefore, we should focus our attention on the way we teach, not the study fields that students are pursuing.

Edited by Yuanli Pei

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

Here is one piece of my response to an ISSUE topic of the GRE revised test. Any comment is appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Topic: Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Instruction: Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

RESPONSE:

It is true that i think that it is better you didn't start the essay with "it is" some people have spent many years studying in one area but they end up with failure. In light of this situation, some people claim that educational institutions, with the responsibility to lead students to success, should dissuade them from pursuing fields of such study. However, in my opinion, the responsibility of education is to cultivate students’ interests and develop their learning skills, not to dissuade them from pursuing certain studying subjects.

As far as I am concerned, whether one could succeed in one area depends heavily on his interests and professional knowledge, both of which are gained at school. Thus, educational institutions are responsible for teaching professional knowledge and cultivating students’ interests. Suppose a school provides good teachers and sufficient studying resources. Usually, good teachers, instead of just telling knowledge, demonstrate conclusion to students, and inspire students. They also know how to elicit students' energy in learning. Then, educated by such good teachers, combined with good studying environments, students attending such a school have a great chance to develop their interests and enhance their learning skills. Eventually, motivated by great interests and equipped with solid professional knowledge, they are high likely to success in their studying fields. This is true in nearly all fields of study. Hence, to educational institutions, it is not a "persuading" or "dissuading" thing. Rather, it is a matter of “teaching” and "cultivating".

In challenging my point of view, one might argue that students, with different personalities, may respond differently to the same teaching strategy. In other words, it is possible that even if the educational institutions provide students the best teachers and the most advanced educational equipments, there is still a possibility that they finally fail in these areas. I do agree that such cases exist. However, according to my observation, the main reason underlying these failures is that education institutions failed to curtailing teaching methods in accordance with students’ studying habits. Hence, it is still a question of “teaching” and “cultivating”, not ”persuading” or “dissuading”.

In conclusion, educational institutions are responsible for teaching. If they fail, students pay the price. Therefore, we should focus our attention on the way we teach, not the study fields that students are pursuing.

I think your essay lacks examples for the middle paragraphs