Urch Forums

hi rashmi, cooldude, kinshuk,and others, how is this one?

tans

Are politics and morality should be treated mutually exclusive? I agree to some extent that politics and morality should be kept exclusive. But it is not always true. When a political leader is fighting to come in power then he or she should take help of political stratagems and clever tricks to win the game of politics. But once they are incumbent then politics and morality should be commingled.

I think that if a political leader is too outspoken then it will be difficult for her to get respect from the members of her own group. Besides her opponents will also try to use her candid to defeat her in the battle of politics as all the tricks will be day lighted to others. So in the game of politics, rhetoric is a great virtue.

Coming to the stage when politics and morality should be treated as mutually exclusive, I can think about the condition before election. At this time every party leader trying to win over the incumbent party should use the faults of that party. In our locality I have seen before the local election, that one leader who has tried a lot to improve the social condition of the area by eradicating antisocial elements and facilitating denizens by establishing a local hospital, was denigrated by opponents as she tried to stop the production of a factory as it was creating water pollution. Her opponents completely ignored her good sides and tried to prove her as against industrial development and against the well being of factory workers. Ultimately the opponent leader won the game as unemployment was a big problem of that area. So, rhetoric can play a major role in winning in this field.

But, how long is it possible to keep morality and politics mutually exclusive? I think it is up to the stage before coming to power. Once a political leader has come to the pinnacle then it becomes obligatory for her to conjure up morality and politics, at least to her fellow citizens who have brought her to power. Because it is the time when her abilities will be measured in the balance of humanity and denouement of her work, as long as she will be in power. It is the time to fulfill the desires of common people. When a would be leader is promising to create jobs for unemployed, literacy for all irrespective of affluent or indigent, or good roads, industrial development or advancements in the field of business by invoking multinational companies, then it becomes mandatory for her to achieve these goals, at least some of these. People can remember very well about the commitments and can match those with actual works. And as they are tax-payers, so having every right to be happy with the works of their leaders. But obviously the leader will not disclose all her cards in her hand to her opponents.

So, in a nutshell I can say that though it is the rhetoric not immorality that can help political leaders in the long run. Otherwise while serving the country, politics and morality can not be totally exclusive, rather they are interlinked to some extent.

tans , what was the proper wording of the topic. have u written on this-

"Those who treat politics and morality as though they were separate realms fail to understand either the one or the other."

please post the issue topic, that will help us understand whether u have written what the topic asks for or have gone astray.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY......TANS...I MUST SAY --VERY FLOWERY LANGUAGE INDEED...LOOKS LIKE UR VOCAB IS PRETTY STRONG....but a word of caution here...this may go against you on GRE...as the ETS readers havent memorised those wordlists that u have!!!...and try not to use " i think " ...so frequently...except for that...its really good...and a big improvement over the prev one too....way to go TANS!!!! :-)

heyyyy rashmi,

sorry, i didnt see the topic from list. i was ging through arco essay book and took the topic of page 127-issue 169. first i wrotr it and then studied it, so i am not being able to answer ur question.

heyyyyy kinshuk, thanx. did the words fit to the point or were used wrongly. thanx to all of u for sharing time

Hey Tans and Kinshuk, with all due respect I beg to differ on the strong vocabulary usage. Let's not underestimate the GRE readers ... They are faculties and professors of English or Humanities in American Universities, man! That must mean mugging up years of Shakespeare and Milton and becoming a GRE reader must involve a process of thorough training, and they come across much more flowery languauge per semester than most of us will level ever see in our lives !!

Let this not be an apology for rash usage of pompous-sounding words, when we are not sure about their true meaning or usage. But where you feel a less usual word (in modern English ) expresses your thoughts better, I would say go for it ! It cannot possibly harm you, IMHO.

Just my two cent's worth !