Urch Forums

Please! rate this essay:To understand the most important characteristics of a society

serk

" To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities"

Each society has its essential characteristics, such as the tradition, technological advances, economic strength, strong army, artistic attainments, and so forth, and some of them are engendered and prevailed in urban while others are popular in rural. Thus, it is could not be correct that studying major cities of societies to trace these features. One could witness modernization of China by studying Shanghai, one could recognize pluralism of United States by strolling in the New York, one could experience rite of a South American tribe in the primitive forest by visiting sacred scene.

The statement is fundamentally correct when it comes to the traditional architecture which is preserved and generated in Western European countries. Style of architecture plays an important role in the tradition of Western European societies. Almost all of the famous and typical buildings have become symbols of many large cities. For instance, Baroque architectures begun in late 16th century Italy, and Les Invalides in Paris France, st Paul's Cathedral in London England, and Church of the Gesu in Rome Italy are outstanding portrayals of Baroque style. The second style of architecture is Gothic, which was flourished during the high and late medieval period. Lots of majestic Cathedral, like the Regensburg Cathedral in Regensburg Germany, Barcelona Cathedral in Barcelona Spain, and Florence Cathedral in Florence Italy, are Gothic characteristic and are still preserved well in metropolis. Last well-known style is the Byzantine, and it gradually emerged as a distinct artistic and cultural entity in Byzantine Empire. Cappella Palatina in Palermo Italy is one of Byzantine buildings. The architectures listed above indicate the historical and religious value of societies they belong to, so if researchers want to understand the characteristics of societies, then exploring the major cities.

However, in Eastern Asian countries many of traditions have disappeared or vanished in the chief cities. When it comes to the traditional architectures a number of distinctive buildings are destroyed by war, city planning, or other clauses. Such as the Yuan Ming Yuan known in world as Old Summer Palace, it was ruined by British and French expeditionary forces during the Second Opium War. Thus, there is little opportunity for people to work over the Old Summer Palace relic to understand Chinese traditional characteristics. On the other hand, Chinese folk art, crafts, and traditional songs burgeon in the countryside rather than cities. Nowadays, it is hard to find craftsman who do Papercutting, play Guqin--a Chinese musical stringed instrument, or equip other traditional techniques in major cities. On the contrary, ironically, the non-traditional songs and art such as the popular songs and oil paintings prevail in the cities. Therefore, one who strolls in a modern gallery could hardly understand meaning of traditional art, and one who watches a stylish singer's concert rarely hear folk songs.

Tradition as a vital characteristic of a society varies from countries to countries, which in West European countries can be understood by studying major cities but in Eastern Asian countries prefer to explore in the rural. Yet, many other aspects can be societal features, such as the people's behavior. As the development of economy people who reside in the metropolis become increasingly efficiency-oriented. In order to pursue profits maximization, factory owner would rather improve his/her installation to produce more; executive would rather expand his/her corporate to complete more projects. So the characteristic that related to economy would be traced through studying large cities.

hi! I like your essay. You are a good writer! Your thoughts are clever, you have many interesting and persuasive examples. From your essay I can make a conclusion that you are open-minded person and you know many different interesting things (and maybe you are Chinese?:)). The one thing that I want to add is that you have to make a good conclusion that will compise all your mentioned thoughts. To sum up, I think that your essay might be rated as 5! Rate,please, my essay, you can find it in my threads. Thanks!

Thank you very much. Thank you for your rating. I tried to comprise all of my thoughts I stated above, but I also wanted to expand my essary, like defining the characteristics of society more elements. So, I do not know this would be OK for my issue. Thank you again

hi! I like your essay. You are a good writer! Your thoughts are clever, you have many interesting and persuasive examples. From your essay I can make a conclusion that you are open-minded person and you know many different interesting things (and maybe you are Chinese?:)). The one thing that I want to add is that you have to make a good conclusion that will compise all your mentioned thoughts. To sum up, I think that your essay might be rated as 5! Rate,please, my essay, you can find it in my threads. Thanks!

Thank you very much. Thank you for your rating. I tried to comprise all of my thoughts I stated above, but I also wanted to expand my essary, like defining the characteristics of society more elements. So, I do not know this would be OK for my issue. Thank you again

• 3 weeks later...

World is filled with innumerable gratifying cities.

We always get anxious to think how beautifully yet keeping a specific touch of

genuineness they have grown.Every society has a centre place where it has

burgeonedand manier times this place is either their holy place or the one where they

all start and complete their life journey,the major hubs,cities.Where people come

along with their families, reside, grow their inhibited culture and get accomodated

along with all the new atmosphere.But is it really keeping the major characteristics

same of the society?

When you walk the streets of Pune or Mumbai cities in India,people wear shoes of

Nike,Adidas etc. girls wear skirts, tight jeans and so of the western culture clothes.

Indian culture of wearing clothes and running daily life is totally different in cities such

as this where people run by the clock eat by the clock sleep by the clock making

currently every society in here of the same characteristic though the origin is

different.We still eat burger and chinese, when we get traditional best suited tasty

Indian food easily because it's cool,we wear tight jean when traditional loose outfit

help survive hot weather.Not because of the culture ,for style statement.So issue is not

of the morality but of the survival statistics of society on the basis of which it has been

developed.

Consider a village of Kashmir,or a place in Tundra where climate is so cold that their

culture is based around firetheir songs their warm dresses their perticularly non-veg

food and the tone of language,all based on the environment.

You cannot wear low clothes on an ice mountain & a tight jeans at dessert. Because

you cant,it will definitely harm you.To understand how a society is flourished in such

areas we have to study the environment and about the environment of a society major

cities might not possess the same environment of the area or the people may not be

willing to show the same culture under whatsoever the environment for their own basic

needs in major hubs for their versatile living culture.So if you really want to undersatnd

a society you have to go its roots ,the holy place, temples,areas around famous

church, monastery, near farmland,villages where people still abide by the rules they

have sset for themselves ,their clothing linegenuinly developed as a sumeet of their

environment as well as the worship of well being.A sikh person always covers his

head while entering a gurudwara, muslim girl always covers her head around their

holy places,its their speciality and it may be observed around major cities but in other

case it may be violated to some extent.

Hence what I want to say is you have to go to the roots to find the soul of the society

,you may get what you want at some scale in major cities but it is not enough if you

really need to study the society.To Understand the most important characteristics of

society you must go to its roots and not to the major cities where it combines with

other cultures.