Urch Forums

Please Review: Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not

samarth

This is the essay that I wrote during a practice test - Kindly review it and post your comments. Thanks in advance.

"Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks. "

There was a period when women were described as genteel, soft, delicate, who cannot sleep peacefully if there was a pea under the mattress. Men were always described as the rugged, strong prince, always ready to liberate the damsel in distress. The reason for such description was attributed to the inherent physical differences between men and women. As a result, it was always a man's job to lift heavy weights or handle arduous tasks while, the women were expected to handle the cooking, etc. In my opinion, in this day and age, such discrimination hardly holds good.

There are women serving in army under such stressful conditions. There are women driving trucks, and handling very strenuous tasks at construction sites with ease and comfort. If we are going to restrict people from handling certain tasks based on gender, are we going to prevent men from handling intricate tasks as one may presume that men are not agile enough to handle that. Based on that assumption, we should not have any men handling neuro-surgery or involved in embroidery, even if they are interested and capable to handle it.

However, there may be some limitations for some people to handle a certain task based on their physical ability and strength. But we should not make a sweeping generalization that a specific gender is unfit for a task.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the major reason for the eligibility of a task is not only decided by the physical difference, but intelligence difference, emotional difference, and many other indices as well. Since it's not always true that man surpass women in All aspects, nor do women overwhelm men in Every aspect, it is unfair to blindly claim which gender is superior for all tasks.

Actually the prompt only asserts the inequality involved due to physical differences between men and women; it does not explicitly contend which gender is superior, I guess the essay should also cover some part where men are more suitable for certain tasks such as sacrificing for their country etc...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The statement underscore the differences between the task suitable for men and women based on their inherent physical characteristics.I some what agree with the author contention because in today's world which is progressing so fast this claim may not hold importance.

Although I agree with the claim because this differences are prevalent from ancient times.Our ancestor lived on this principle ,and in that era women were supposed to do household works,take care of the children and the man of the family goes out to work for earning.In those time it was blunt for a women to work in a factory with other men.Men were also supposed to not to do household works.There was a difference in a status of man and a woman in the societies.Women were not allowed to stand equally to a man.

But now this belief is taking turn and women are coming forward and showing equal competencies in different fields.For example in sports like wrestling ,weightlifting etc. that requires a sturdy physic are considered to be suitable only for men.But now women are also participating in these sports and showing comparable skills.They are refuting the long help belief that restricts women from getting equal position of that of a man.

to illustrate another example is of men cooks.Men are also entering fields like cooking etc which previously were performed by women.

A major contribution for changing the mindset of people goes to our education system.Educated people understand the importance of a women in a society and advocate equal rights for them.

It is also evident that this thought of inequality between men and women is not completely eradicated from our minds.Till date America has not seen a women president.

In conclusion I would say that it unjust to say that men and women are not suited for many physical tasks.Like in army which requires a strong physic,it can be said that it is not suitable for women but today women are also entering armed forces .Some part for us still think that this difference in inevitable but shouldn't this mentality be changed?

This title in not in the Pool of Issue Topics, New GRE.

You can try practice on the topics I wrote and exchange with me.

Too know more, please reference my essay on the same topic and comment on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my planed date to take GRE: undecided

* don't know how to write for a higher grade?! don't know why your writing earned a low grade?! You need to empathize ETS human raters' considerations when rating. Reading and rating many essays samples here illustrate the bad ways and the good ways when writing. Go beyond writing theories! Go practical! Write your response even if it is short or in Chinese.

* want me to comment on another of your essay?! Comment on my one and I will response yours on the same topic in a deserved way worth how you revise mine. If possible, please post your essay to be reviewed in a new thread; else you could have hardships figuring out which comment is for your essay.

* Writing comments exchange is a cool game. Why not try leaving any response to my essay and see what's back.

* Comments on another's essay is itself an argument essay. I will formalize all my comments as an argument writing to your essays.

* Rating and criticizing is that easy:

GRE: For Institutions: Analytical Writing Argument Task Scoring Guide

GRE: For Institutions: Analytical Writing Issue Task Scoring Guide

GRE Revised General Test: Score Level Descriptions

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/Writing_Rubrics.pdf

GRE Revised General Test: Analyze an Issue

GRE Revised General Test: Analyze an Argument

GRE issue ?_??

GRE_Argument_??