Urch Forums

Revised GRE Issue 105-ask for help to correct and rate. Thanks a lot.

LouisLin

105.) Claim: Imagination is a more valuable asset than experience.

Reason: People who lack experience are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of established habits and attitudes.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

The speaker of issue advocated that imagination is more valuable asset than experience. In addition, he also conveyed the information that people will imagine what is possible while they are deficient in experiences due to without restriction of experiences. From my point of view, I partial support the position of issue. Which is to say, I totally agree with the fact that imagination is more valuable asset than experience; however, I entirely disagree with the fact that people who lack experience are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of experiences. In the following content, I will illuminate my opinions about this issue.

Admittedly, knowledge is accumulated by experiences indeed. Knowledge and history which is developed by experiences help us overcome various obstacles. We can also avoid making mistakes the same with those were made by our ancestors. For example, owing to the experience of Great Depression of USA in 1929~1933, governments of different nations all over the world nowadays will mightily intervene in market economy such as keeping prices of commodities stable or investing public works more with a view to stimulating economic growth or aggrandizing public consumption while governments of nations run into economic recession or harsh slump of prices of commodities. Such kind policy and enforcement of governments of nations based on the contribution from New Deal which was handed in by American President Franklin D. Roosevelt. According to the above obvious economic example, we can realize that experience truly play an vital role in our daily lives and help us get over kaleidoscopic problems.

However, in my opinion, compared with experiences, imagination is more important than experiences. As we know, experiences, history and knowledge are finite but imagination is infinite. In fact, imagination is the foundation of experience accumulation, knowledge expansion and history development. That is to say, we can take scientific research as an example, imagination like discovering questions; in contrast, experiences and knowledge just resemble solving or coping with problems or questions. Of course, discovering questions is more important than solving or dealing with problems or questions always because the ability of solving or handling problems or questions is merely a skill. As everybody knows, only owing a skill or a specialized knowledge just more closely resembles a well-trained dog and is valueless compared with discovering and presenting novel questions. If you wanted to discover or present new questions, imagination will be indispensable for you. Most importantly, sublime and immortal physicist Albert Einstein ever said, imagination is more important than knowledge. Imagination is able to make great progress to our world and imagination is the fountainhead of all kinds of knowledge and experiences.

Nevertheless, I totally disagree with the saying that the person will have vivid imagination when he is deficient in copious experiences or the position that the foundation of luxuriant imagination is scantiness of experiences. Although the position of issue is that abundant experiences will confine individual imagination, in my notion, we can also make use of imagination to understand and comprehend other people’s experiences. Even though other people’s experiences are not ours, we can take advantage of our infinite imagination to receive and experience others’ precious experiences and let others’ experiences to be our experiences. As a matter of fact, J. K. Rowling, a British authoress of well-known novel called Harry Potter, gave a lecture on graduation ceremony of Harvard University which is the most preeminent university in our globe in 2009 and she put emphasis on the importance of imagination. She said she made use of her splendid imagination to comprehend other persons’ invaluable experiences and her imagination and others’ experiences help her creating noteworthy fictional and wizardly novel, Harry Potter which prevails over our globe for so long.

In conclusion, although experiences and knowledge have much influence on our daily lives, imagination is the basis of experiences and the springhead of multifarious knowledge. Thus, imagination is more valuable asset than experience. However, deficiency of experiences or novice is not the foundation of abundant imaginations. In fact, we are capable of taking advantage of other people’s priceless experiences for the purpose of stimulating our myriad imaginations. For instance, lofty and immortal physicist Albert Einstein made use of his imagination to present “Theory of Relativity” and the development of “Quantum Mechanics” in present time which were based on classical physics and classical mechanics instead of any fantasy or illusion. Therefore, I totally agree with the former position of issue that imagination is more valuable asset than experience but oppose the latter saying of issue that people are free to imagine what is possible without the constraints of existing experiences.