Urch Forums

Hi Can you please review the Analysis of Issue(It is for GRE).

Issue is -> The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.

The statement “Best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones” does not apply in all circumstances. The validity of this statement depends very much on how teaching is perceived by the target audience.

For example, an ignorant child will definitely get encouraged to do positive things when he is appreciated for the good work done. At the same time if his negative actions are not demurred he might assume silence as acceptance. Or he can assume his actions as second best positive thing i.e doing it further will fetch him praise. Yet it is possible that he may stop doing negative things because he is not praised for his task. However it is not a guarantee that silence will convey the right message to the target audience. Hence while teaching it is of paramount importance to tell what is wrong and what is right.

Another Example can be, while teaching a science subject if the teacher doesn’t tell an amateur student where he went wrong. How will he know where he actually went wrong in the lessons? Student can’t rely on teachers silence to identify that there was something wrong. It can happen that teacher was ill, or he was in a gloomy mood or maybe he just dint like praising on some particular subject.

Hence not praising cannot be taken on its face value. It might denote multiple messages adding one more meaning to not praising may prove detrimental to learning.

-> Can you please grade this on a scale of 6 and if possible please pass recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.

Savio

In my perspective it will not bear you more than 3. Some drawbacks are

1. The thesis paragraph is very small

2. There should be 3 to 4 body paragraphs in which one should be counterpoint or contains rebuttal.

3. The conclusion paragraph should be lengthy to accommodate and recapitulate all the thesis and body paragraph in a cursorily manner.

since i am not a trained gre reader so not sure if i can make a proper comment which will help you. Instead I tried to spend a 30 min and write one myself…

- The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.

It is definitely a way to teach but to rate it as best I cannot. When we recall to teach it means a result of that teaching process should deliver us the individual whose behavior will consist of good actions and no bad ones.

When individual reached the maturity to be released into society for standalone flow he must have been already learned that bad actions won’t be ignored by the society he is in. And if throughout of teaching process let’s say kid always was ignored for bad actions than his mentality is likely set for the self-judge. So if opportunity for bad action will come across and probability that this person won’t be able to retain from temptation of bad performance is highly increased. And if bad action happens than suggested way to teach obviously cannot be ranked to be the best one.

On the other hand that proposed way to teach is good. And the reason for that is that it set for the high hi level of insensitive to perform good. Receiving a praise is always a very touchy feeling and it motivates a lot. Than teaching in discussed way is a good program to establish the propriety in man’s actions of life.

One man was a good kid and he was released from high school as top rated. He did so well at a duration of school life which made him receiving only applauses. The thing is that this kid never have to do a bad action as it was no opportunity in school. After he went to university in a big foreign city away from parental home. He entered into very multifaceted cosmopolite social chaos of what we see in usually at first glance when arriving into a major cities from rural places. And opportunity has come. Since kid did not know of consequences those follow bad action as a result of improper interaction he took a chance of being part of bad group of guys. As result he ends up to be in police and discharged from university. It was a lesson but taken too late. And the reason for that was that way which suggested to praise for positive actions and ignore negative ones.

Recapitulating the analysis of author’s issue it suggests that the way in issue is very unbalanced. It does promote to behave well but it does not recognize the negatives behaviors and so does not preserve the stability of individual in later stage of life. Alas, this way cannot be the best one.