Urch Forums

Another "A nationa should require" essay. =)

winda

Hello everyone.

I've read other essays on this topic on urch before posting mine. It looks similar to other essays, but still I would like to check how well/poor I'm prepared for GRE.

I'd be glad, if anyone could help me with suggestions to imrpove my essay.

Or, this could be just another example of essay on this topic for other students preparing for GRE. ;)

Topic: A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

My essay:

I completely agree with the suggestion that similar basic level of education should be provided for the whole population. Government’s control over pre-college education is important for providing balanced distribution of primary education.

First of all, all the school should be providing the same level of education so that not to depreciate the value of education in specific schools. Otherwise, schools with intense teaching curricula will be giving considerable advantage to their alumni entering college. Moreover, this would create difficulties to the populations of specific districts with schools with not so intense curricula: parents willing to give their children to well-teaching school will not be able to do so because of difficulties of transporting their children.

Secondly, in terms of mobility, the same national curriculum would make both teachers and students be able to move to other districts of the country without causing difficulties in finding a school with the same curriculum.

Finally, there can be a slight exception from this holistic approach, namely “special” school, aimed at particular types of students, such as students suffering difficulties when studying or, in contrast, very bright students. However, usually the number of such students, according to the bell-curve, is not sufficient. Hence, the same national curriculum for the rest of the nation’s students will be still required.

Edited by winda