Urch Forums

I Can Help Review Your Issue Essay—Educational institutions have a responsibility ...

neateditor

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed., Issue 137(related to 3 & 35), Analytical writing, New GRE

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Dissuading students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed is far away from have-to-do tasks of educational institutions.

Although discouraging students could better allocate education resources, release students from frustrations, and maximize possible contributions students could deliver in future, this action is not worthy.

First, education institutions get huge and vast priority tasks, while the expected returns of this kind of action is out of an issue of concern. So many problems are unsolved yet and they should mind their critical business.

Second, the false positive and true negative rates could be certainly high. Thus, for one thing, educational institute should not have students take their unreliable decision; foe the other, the risk, the estimated lost per failure guess, could be so high that education institutes can hardly cover. Would a school compensate a student for a wrong advice changing one's life? There is no such case exists.

After all, dissuading students from pursuing fields of study unlikely to succeed goes too over, and educational institute should only keep these as suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my planed date to take GRE: undecided

* don't know how to write for a higher grade?! don't know why your writing earned a low grade?! You need to empathize ETS human raters' considerations when rating. Reading and rating many essays samples here illustrate the bad ways and the good ways when writing. Go beyond writing theories! Go practical! Write your response even if it is short or in Chinese.

* want me to comment on another of your essay?! Comment on my one and I will response yours of the same topic in a deserved way worth how you revise mine. If possible, please post your essay to be reviewed in a new thread; else you could have hardships figuring out which comment is for your essay.

* Writing comments exchange is a cool game. Why not try leaving any response to my essay and see what's back.

* Comments on another's essay is itself an argument essay. I will formalize all my comments as an argument writing to your essays.

* Rating and criticizing is that easy:

GRE: For Institutions: Analytical Writing Argument Task Scoring Guide

GRE: For Institutions: Analytical Writing Issue Task Scoring Guide

GRE Revised General Test: Score Level Descriptions

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/Writing_Rubrics.pdf

GRE Revised General Test: Analyze an Issue

GRE Revised General Test: Analyze an Argument

wenku.baidu.com/view/62813b8e680203d8ce2f2468.html

wenku.baidu.com/view/2dadce553c1ec5da50e270ae.html