Urch Forums

Technology is deteriorating human's ability to think. Please take a look and rate it.

As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.

As we discuss about the technology and its effects on human’s ability to think and solve problems, I would like to disagree with the above stated issue. I don’t think that as people are relying more and more on technology these days, their own problem solving ability and ability to think is deteriorating.

First, we cannot doubt our ability when we are the one who is making the technology in the first place. We need skills and problem solving abilities to make technology, then teach it and finally use it in everyday life. Also, technology changes every day. We need to keep updating our self to be in touch with what is going on around us. So, when the learning process never stops, that should improve our thinking and problem solving skills instead of deteriorating.

Second, kids are learning so much from technology these days and for that they are learning the technology first and then that helps them in various areas including studies like Math, science, language, arts. There are so many applications now for babies, toddlers that help them with their fine motor skills, hand eye coordination and language skills. That is like a new revolution, a new way to help kids learn in today’s world and I don’t think that is deteriorating their ability to think in any way.

Third, we can see our parents and other people like them who are not very tech savvy are trying to learn it as well. Whether it is to communicate with their kids or their friends around the world or to pursue their interests over the internet like music, recipe collections, news and all kinds of information easily available over the web.

There might be some cases where we are so used to the technology that we don’t have to think before using it. For example – spell check is available on our computers, so we don’t have to really pay attention to our spellings. Other example is to do calculations using calculator or computer. I agree that we don’t do these mundane tasks our self now a days but that only gives us more time and energy to learn so much more that is now available to us because of technology.