Urch Forums

please rate essay on college student major

donbuser

Should a college student decide their field based on theirinterests and capabilities or should they choose a major based on how in demandthe occupation is? I agree that it is important to able to find work thatprovides sustainable income once one graduates college however I feel that lifeis too short to be miserable. One should choose an occupation suited to theirtalents and interests to ensure their success and happiness.

One should be able to pursue what they truly want to doregardless of how much of a demand there is demand for a crime scene investigator but there isplenty of demand for a financial advisor and this person pursues a degree in finance, how happy do you thinkhe/she will possibly be helping people plan for their retirement as opposed tofinding out who murdered the gentleman in the gated community. This personwould probably be unhappy 40 hours a week and that’s a lot of time beingunhappy.

A student should also pursue a career that suits theirtalents. I highly doubt that a student who is good at working on cars and isn’tgood at listening to other people’s problems would make a good counselorregardless of how much more money or howdemand counseling is over auto mechanics. This student would most likely flunk out of college once he has to do aninternship.

In Conclusion, it’s clear that one should only considertheir own talents and interests in choosing a filed of study as opposed tobasing their choice in a field of study over how many jobs are available. The two hypothetical examplesof the student interested in being a crime scene investigator and the studentwho is mechanically inclined validate that. If anything, life is simply too short not to be happy or excel in one’sfield of study.