Urch Forums

issue essay

dicapino

Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field. In this period were countries have just started recovering from the recession, and availability of jobs has stagnated in certain sectors; I believe college students should only consider fields of study were there are availability of jobs. The reasons for this view are two-folds: first, it will give them a chance at a secured future; also, it will be the best decision for students that use loans to pay for their schooling. Firstly, it will give college students a chance at a secured future. By making this decision students are able to get jobs after graduating; thus, since getting jobs means being on a regular wage, they will be able to pay their bills, meet their needs, and those of their immediate families. They are able to live comfortably. For instance, in Nigeria you don’t hear a student say I want to learn painting at college, and the reason is that there is no real appreciation of artworks, I have never seen an art gallery around me, but I do see many banks. Furthermore, such a decision will be the best for students that pay for their schooling with loans. After earning a degree some students will be in debt, and they have to pay this off before they can even start their lives. Thus, it will have been the best decision to pick a field where he or she would get a job immediately after school. For example, a lecturer told me of foreign student who was a exchange student in my department, he said the student was now working to pay off all the debt he incurred for his schooling. Opponents against my argument say that with the right skills and talents a student is sure of landing a job in any field. I agree that having skills give you an upper hand in getting a job, but these skills are useless when there are no job opportunities for you to utilise such skills. In summary, with the present situation of the global economy, college students should pick fields that will give them a competitive advantage of living a comfortable life. Skills and talents are good, but there is no need having these skills, and not having food on the table. **** is this okay. any feedback will be deeply appreciated