Urch Forums

Company management should conduct routine monitoring of employee email correspondence

Hello all :) Here's my issue essay response of one of the mock test which I've been giving lately. Would be grateful if anyone could analyze it and provide some incisive feedback. :)

The issue at hand:

Company management should conduct routine monitoring of all employee e-mail correspondence. Such monitoring will reduce the waste of resources such as time and system capacity, as well as protect the company from lawsuits.

Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

My response:

The given policy talks about conducting a routine monitoring of all employee e-mail correspondence. It further alleges that doing so will mitigate the waste of resources such as time and system capacity. The given policy seems to be pragmatic and I do believe that it should be implemented in almost all firms.

Firstly, in any company, security is one of the most cardinal aspects to be careful about. Implementing the given policy will help the company avert from collusions of the employees with pariahs. It if my opinion that since the employees would be knowing that their e-mail correspondence

is being monitored, they will not dare to engage themselves in any conspiracy against the company. This may help the company's board to develop a sense of fidelity inside them with regards to their employees.

Secondly, the given policy claims to reduce the waste of resources. Now, I'm no raconteur but I would like to share an anecdote. One of my friends recently opened his firm named "Opine solutions". It basically is a marketing platform for various firms. Since it is a start up, he started employing stipend-free internships to various callow programmers. But after a month itself, my friend found out that his server had been hacked. He knew it was one of the interns, as he had taken most of the measures to prevent a DNS or similar attacks. He started enquiring and after three weeks, twenty days to be precise, he found out the intern who had colluded with his team to hack the server. And to my friend's utter shock, the hacker used to send the firms logs through the very e-mail provided to him by the firm, since the interns weren't allowed to use their personal e-mails. Now, adopting the stated policy would have helped my friend a lot of time as he could have directly peeped into the logs of the routing monitoring software to find out who was the fraud. Thus, I feel that the policy rightfully claims that a draft of resources will be saved by implementing the policy.

Thus, in any firm, I believe that it is important to take measures to discourage charlatans from conspiring against the firm and the stated policy would just serve the purpose.