Urch Forums

Analysis of an Issue. Please review it.

In this age of intensive media coverage, it is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the

position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true

and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Considering anyone as a hero in this present time of intensive media coverage might not be entire possible. I strongly agree with the statement that it is no longer possible to consider any living individual as a hero.

Firstly, the media such a huge power and potential that it does tend to over state the goodness an individual may be possessing. I do agree that any individual may have done good works that deserve compliment. However, the power of media is such that overstating the goodness is quite dangerous as judging an individual based on only his/her 'portrayed merits' is not justified. I strongly believe that every individual has goodness and badness, though the levels of each can vary. The media, with such huge power to influence the world, does not show that complete picture. Only highlighting the goodness and hiding the bad deeds is very dangerous. The current trend of 'paid news' is an evidence of the current situation.

Secondly, the timings of the media coverage can be under suspicion. The media industry has become such a huge industry that millions ride on it. The media is bound to be highly influenced by big politicians and equally big industrialists. The complete unbiased reporting under such situation would not be largely possible. Such biased reporting becomes all the more dangerous with the magnitude of people that the media is able to reach. Moreover, the media industry is under constant government monitoring and can influence the media not to highlight the negatives of an individual, which is a dangerous trend.

Thirdly, I believe in the present time, the common man does not have all the time in the world to properly evaluate the reports being shown by the media. The common man is all the more busy in his or her own work that I doubt most people would not be having the needed time to get the complete picture. Though, I believe that the common man may not be completely dominated by any biased reporting, however an individual is bound to be substantially influenced by it.

I thereby believe that it would be best to consider individual who are longer with us, who have achieved so much in their life spans. The complete life span of such heroes is open to all and there can be no manipulation with it. I strongly believe in the present times, one needs to have heroes for guidance and inspiration. It would be much safe to consider Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela as our heroes rather than any politician of the current time.

Thus, I strongly believe that considering anyone as a hero in this age of intensive media coverage is no longer possible. The huge power and potential of media makes it difficult to consider the media industry can completely unbiased along with the rush life of most people, thereby making it difficult to consider an individual as heroes.

Edited by manish1704
Formatting