Urch Forums

Can anyone evaluate my essay?

I have started the preparation for GRE a few days back. Please guide me as I am poor at expressing thoughts. Following is the issue topic:

"EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO DISSUADE STUDENTS FROM PURSUING FIELDS OF STUDY IN WHICH THEY ARE UNLIKELY TO SUCCEED."

Education is a powerful weapon which one can use to change themselves and also contribute to the society. It forms the basis of one's personality and individuality. Many countries have illiteracy rate higher making them incapable to utilise the resources and raise their living standard. It is also one of the leading factors for the development of any country. Education system must include methods or tests through which a student comes to know about their capabilities and plus points; with the help of which a student can figure out which field to choose.

I disagree with the notion of persuading students. In order to excel in any kind of field, one has to put in a lot of effort and time. Not everybody is born with talent. A person can be more successful than a person possessing aptitude by hard work and passion. So, no institution should come to a conclusion that a particular student is not adept at, just by looking their performance for a short period of time. Also, success for every person has different definitions. Due to poor financial background of the family, success for that person will be to earn in any way! Some are born with a silver spoon and pursue any area of interest which might not be their interest. Some may pursue engineering or MBBS in order to get a professional degree and to have a good job with a good salary. An individual is the best judge for himself. Bill Gates, dropping out of Harvard, started a business and is listed amongst the richest men in the world. Take the instance of Michael Jordan. He was kicked out of his school basketball team because his coach thought he is a poor performer but later on he became one of the brightest basketball players. It may so happen that a person recognise their potential later in stage but being dissuaded in the crucial years may lead to very low self esteem.

No matter how erudite a person is, he/she has no right to judge anybody else. Institutions should always offer and help students in achieving their goals. Committing mistakes should not be inferred as failure. A person always learns from one's mistakes. Albert Einstein, in his early ages, did not speak and did not read leading his teachers and parents to think that he was mentally handicapped. He was expelled from his school and was refused admission in Zurich University. But he caught on pretty well in the end, winning the Nobel Prize.

If a student is dissuaded they may never be able to think on their own. The fear of discouragement may even stop them to think and apply their brains on their own. It is said that one learn from its mistake. No human being has achieved success without committing mistake, accepting it, learning from it and correcting it the next time.

Therefore, educational institutions should not dissuade students from pursuing fields in which the might not succeed but instead should provide various platforms through which they can understand their potential and realise their interests.

Hi, nice essay. Just a few suggestions: Which 'short period of time' are you referring to in this sentence? "So, no institution should come to a conclusion that a particular student is not adept at, just by looking their performance for a short period of time."

Use paragraphs to separate ideas.

Also, maybe explain/clarify how this example is relevant: "Bill Gates, dropping out of Harvard, started a business and is listed amongst the richest men in the world." You should state how this connects to your thesis. As it is, it's not connected to your argument.

Check your grammar towards the end of your essay, especially the plurals. Good luck!

Edited by DaisyMama
add a word

Thank yo so much for your feedback!

I got your point. I am not at all good when it comes to writing essays. You were right, I just read that the Bill Gates example is not conveying what I wanted to convey. And by short period of time I meant that teachers are not the best judge to figure out our capabilities.

I'll be careful in future while writing essays. Thanks once again!