Urch Forums

Please share feedback - "The well-being of a society is enhanced when ..."

aneela

The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

There are number of parameters on the basis of which we can identify the well-being of a society - access to quality education, acceptance and compliance with social norms, mortality rates etc. Apart from these, some people also believe that the ability to question authority enhances the well-being of the society, but others would state that questioning can have a negative impact on the society. In my view, a society can develop only when it has the freedom to question authority on policies, decisions and governance

Consider the example of the Right to Information Act implemented in India. This powerful act has given the common man the right to request for information on various aspects of governance such as, environmental studies used for making decisions, defense contracts, actual vs. planned expenses etc. which has lead to further scrutiny of how various departments, cities and country are being run. This scrutiny has lead to number of scandals coming out in the public arena which otherwise would not have seen light of the day. Given the repercussions, leaders and politicians appear to be making a greater effort to show evidence of improvements brought about.

As much as the ability to question has brought about improvements in governance, so has it brought about improvements in science. In medivial times, it was believed that the sun revolves around the earth. However, Galileo questioned this statement based on faith rather than facts and despite significant resistance continued to state that it is the reverse. Subsequently, science proved that Galileo was right. However, we cannot rest the burden of progress on the courage of a few who are brave enough to stand up to authority. Society itself needs to encourage and accept the questions as a necessary discussion to enable it to move forward.

In fact the absence of questions or differing ideas is also considered as a symptom of “group think” a term coined in organizational behavior. A team is said to suffer from “group think” when members arrive at consensus without adequate brainstorming and discussion which would ensure that the final decision has been thought through in terms of pros and cons. Take the example of Nokia which chose not to go ahead with a touch based phone, a product of their research lab developed years before the iphone hit the market and subsequently lost the mobile market to Apple.

While it is important that we raise questions at times the availability of such an avenue can be used to hamper and impede the work performed by authority. One example being the Indian parliament where opposing parties have obstructed the government from performing its key duties by walking out of the parliament and conducting protests all in the name of raising questions about what ever policy or bill is getting tabled.

As the bulk of the evidence shows it is important that we ask questions to improve governance, to support scientific enquiry and to study decisions. However, it goes hand in hand with the intelligence and civility to not abuse this ability and right to ask questions.

I like your essay a lot too--though I think you're missing a few punctuation marks. I.e. "While it is important that we raise questions, at times the..." Also, I would reword the conclusion just a bit to answer the prompt more directly.

BTW I got the same prompt on my test. I agreed that the well being of a society is enhanced when people question authority. I used only two examples and one counter example. I got a 6.0.

Seems that time was a factor in your essay. I would take the 3rd paragraph out and elaborate the idea of the 4th paragraph.

Otherwise, looks good except for some spelling and grammar. A 4.5 or 5 to me.